Hope I posted this in the right place. I have a Lexmark Optra S 2450 laser printer that I need to interface with my new computer that I built via a network. The printer is old but works great. It has two ways of being able to communicate. One through a parallel port and the other is the network card in the printer. No USB. My new motherboard in my new computer does not have a parallel port so I am forced to use the network card on the printer. My problem is I don't know how to set it up. I made several attempts but failed. Here are more details. First I am running Vista 32 bit and I'm connected to a router. On the printer when I print out the network configuration page (through the printer console) it shows all the different settings that can be configured and what they are at that point. I have included a copy. Under TCP/IP is where I think I'm messing up. For "address" I am assuming that would be the address of the printer which I assigned 192.168.2.4. The "Netmask" is 255.255.255.0. The "gateway" I assume is the router IP gateway address which is 192.168.2.1. What I don't understand is what the "Hostname, WINS Status" is and how to configure it. And the IP address for " WINS Server". Would that be my computer? This printer came from a business that used to use it in a network so I know it works. If you need more info please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It seems my attachment didn't go through so I'm trying again.

the hostname is whatever you want to call the printer. A WINS server is a nameserver. You wont have one on a home network so either leave it blank or try the same as the gateway.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.