how to find all of the IP addresses in any and all of the files under /var/lib/output/*, ignoring whatever else may be in those files?
now i can assume anything in those files.....can some one get me started on this.

Now i know that the basic logic in this is that we should start by just find replace kind of a thing and then form an iterative operation to find ip address from all other files

Hey there,

this highly depends on the tool you decide to use. For simplicity, just use sed and type more than you need to for ease of understanding:

sed -n '/[[:digit:]]\{1,3\}\.[[:digit:]]\{1,3\}\.[[:digit:]]\{1,3\}\.[[:digit:]]\{1,3\}/p' FILENAME

You can also expand on that to pull more than one IP from a single line and tweak so that it doesn't accept a bad ip like 999.999.999.999

Best wishes :)

, Mike

There are thousands of ways to do this one :) Try this! grep -Eo '[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}' /var/lib/output Thanks!
-G

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.