i am confused that when to use '&' sign in arrays.
some times in string array or in character array i got confused.
bcz array name itself is an address .so an1 can plz help me out of this??

It looks like you're not confused at all. Please provide some examples of what you don't understand.

i am confused that when to use '&' sign in arrays.
some times in string array or in character array i got confused.
bcz array name itself is an address .so an1 can plz help me out of this??

In C when we take input using scanf() function we have to take the address of the variable.
Here is some Example .I think it will make you clear.

int a;
scanf("%d",&i); //address of the variable

char a[10];
scanf("%s",a);//a stands for the base address of the string.

int b[10]

scanf("%d",b);//b is also the base address of the array .

thnx...bt then why we take & while using integer type of array?

thnx...bt then why we take & while using integer type of array?

consider example given by asitmahato.

int b[10]

It is same as writing:

int b[10]
scanf("%d",&b);//gives 'address of' b,(the zeroth place)
printf("%d\n",*(arr));//prints the 'value at address" zero of array b

moreover

int b[10],i;
for(i=0;i<10;i++)
    scanf("%d",&b[i]);//gives 'address of' b starting from zeroth to ninth place

We can do same thing with arrays of char also

char b[5];
scanf("%c",&b);
printf("%c\n",*(b));

Was that clear enough?

yaaa thnksssss

consider example given by asitmahato.

int b[10]

It is same as writing:

int b[10]
scanf("%d",&b);//gives 'address of' b,(the zeroth place)
printf("%d\n",*(arr));//prints the 'value at address" zero of array b

No, it's not the same. The address passed to scanf() will be the same, but the type of that object is different. It's the difference between a pointer to char and a pointer to an array of char. The latter is undefined behavior because it's not the expected type for the %d format specifier. This is a very subtle error that rarely manifests as a real problem, so beginners tend to have a hard time understanding it.

In value context, array names are converted to a pointer to the first element (ie. b in the above example is converted to &b[0] ). The reason we use the address-of operator (&) in scanf() is to get a pointer to the object so that scanf() can modify it through indirection. Since the array name is already a pointer, there's no need for another level of indirection.

Of course, this whole issue with arrays can be sidestepped by being explicit:

int b[10];

scanf("%d", &b[0]);

But that still doesn't help if you have a pointer to a scalar:

int *p = malloc(sizeof *p);

scanf("%d", p); /* No '&' necessary */

The address passed to scanf() will be the same

I was only discussing language specifications not implementations but I should admit I didn't know about the 'undefined behavior' in the above case.I'm glad you clarified what to use and what to not.

This is a very subtle error that rarely manifests as a real problem, so beginners tend to have a hard time understanding it.

Not if they bang their heads more often.Am I right?

The latter is undefined behavior because it's not the expected type for the %d format specifier.

But I don't get it. Why don't they(those who standardize C and even the compiler manufacturers) take care of this 'undefined behavior' thing. I guess this is one of the main reasons why C is hard to grasp and is even considered as a "dangerous programming language".

Why don't they(those who standardize C and even the compiler manufacturers) take care of this 'undefined behavior' thing.

How would they take care of it?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.