I have been looking over current frameworks available and I am looking to settle on CodeIgnitor.

What framework and IDE do you use?

What are the plus sides, limitations of your choice?

Member Avatar for diafol

CI good for beginners to Frameworks/OOP. However the looseness of the requirements (models in particular) probably won't improve your skills with regard to moving on to a more mature framework. However for small projects, I find it simple.

My current fave, Yii is good, but doesn't have the same user base as the more popular frameworks (yet). Also copying the whole codebase to a different directory once you're set up seems a bit odd. Pros tend to use Symfony2 or Zend. They give me nosebleed!

IDE: I use Notepad++, Aptana, Sublime Text 2, Bluefish, but also (to my shame) Dreamweaver (free from work).

Thank you diafol. I am starting to learn OOP. I haven't heard of 'Yii', i will have a look at that.

I did look at Zend and well..... very almost gave up :)

I used Aptana 3 a while back, but it kept locking up on me for a starnge reason

Member Avatar for diafol

I used Aptana 3 a while back, but it kept locking up on me for a starnge reason

Yeah, I think the first couple of v3 releases were a bit dodgy. Think it's pretty stable now though. Must say, my absolute favourite was Bluefish - it was absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately, it crapped up for some inexplicable reason and left some crud that stops me re-installing it :( Don't let that put you off though. Loved it.

//EDIT

Your post prompted me to re-download Bluefish. I re-installed and it's working again! Oh BLISS! Thanks Squidge +1 from me!

Oh BLISS! Thanks Squidge +1 from me!

lol, you are welcome

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.