I'm creating an HTML page with a drop down box full of a list of places that when selected the user is directed to a page where s/he can enter text and save it. The pages will be updated everytime a user makes a change which they can then view whenever they want. There will be no internet connection available so the data is stored on only the computer it was entered on. I was going to use the browser offline to view the pages.

I can create the pages but I'm stumped on how to save the data. Do I use PHP or CGI or.. what? Am I making this harder than it really is?

Any suggestions, advice? I thank ya.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Javascript does not offer a way to save to local files (thank god). Using PHP locally could work, but you'd have to install a webserver, configure PHP, learn PHP, etc. Yes, you are making it harder than it really should be.

What are you doing all this for?

Use a cookie!

You can't use cookies if you are using an HTML file stored locally (at least without a webserver running on localhost).

Thanks, guys. Yeah, after I wrote that I kept thinking about it and it just didn't make sense. What my friends need is a database that they can make notes on while they drive around in their car. I was trying to create something that looked like a form you might fill out on the internet because people are more accustomed to that. But I will probably just use MS Access or another database program to create it, that way I can create an image of a form with the drop down box and all that jazz. Does anyone happen to know another good database program besides Access - preferably one that I can download free or cheap?

Thanks again.

well access isnt free lmao. Another LONG alternativie is to use flash/actionscript to achieve this form thing but again that would require a version of macromedia flash.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.