Do laser mice wear out? My logitech wireless laser mouse is about a year old and has become hesitant and occasionally, won't work at all. Later in the day, it works fine. The only thing I've learned from installing new batteries, cleaning USB connectors, cleaning lens on laser, etc. is that it seems to work better on solid color mouse pads than on those with various scenes, or logos on it. Could the laser be getting old. Batteries make no difference to my observation. The other quirky problem is that it malfunctions more readily with my wife using it than when I do--tho once it gets jerky, no hand seems to fix it. Any ideas?

I'm going to buy a new mouse 'cause they don't cost much, but I'm curious why this one is malfunctioning. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Like any electronic device, a can and do wear out.

Have you tried switching USB ports?

Sincerely,
Nate

Like any electronic device, a can and do wear out.

Have you tried switching USB ports?

Sincerely,
Nate

Yes. Still intermittantly goes banannas! I really don't understand the return to normal if 'age' is doing in my device.

I strongly suspect that the device is simply wearing out. Often as the components wear out, they show intermittent problems. For example, I had a wireless router that started dropping connections from time to time. There was no rhyme nor reason to it. Then one day it just died for good. No more wireless (wired worked fine though).

I strongly suspect that the device is simply wearing out. Often as the components wear out, they show intermittent problems. For example, I had a wireless router that started dropping connections from time to time. There was no rhyme nor reason to it. Then one day it just died for good. No more wireless (wired worked fine though).

Thanks. I think you're right. I'm just glad the cost of this 'wear out' is nominal. I'll just get a new one.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.