Gateway 1024 MB DDR2 Dual Channel pre-existing. Added a 1GB DDR2 RAM card in an open PCI slot. Checked the system, and it still says I have 1024 MB of physical memory. I run music recording software and my computer is constantly humming whilst accessing the hard drive. Did the card not install? Is it sitting there idley? Can I activate it?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Gateway 1024 MB DDR2 Dual Channel pre-existing. Added a 1GB DDR2 RAM card in an open PCI slot. Checked the system, and it still says I have 1024 MB of physical memory. I run music recording software and my computer is constantly humming whilst accessing the hard drive. Did the card not install? Is it sitting there idley? Can I activate it?

RAM doesnt go in a PCI slots they insert into DIMM slots. Unless your talking about a graphics card which needs to go in the pci express lane not the normal pci slot. You weren't very descriptive about what hardware your on about so its hard to know what your talking about.
The humming may possibly mean that your hard drive is on its way out.

you got a iRAM pci card, it actually acts as a really high speed hard drive that you can boot an os off. It is not ram, the only place you can install ram is in the DIMM slots.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.