Hi everyone

Out of interest what windows managers are people running and why?

I use fvwm2 because it is so light and fast but with powerful configuration options that let me set my desktop up to look and act in a way that allows me to work faster and more efficently. I have made my own toolbar using configuration files and everything is done with keyboard shortcuts.

I used to use fluxbox but found it a little too lightweight for my needs and before that I used enlightenment I found that to be a little bit to bulky with not enough configuration options.

Anyone else want to offer a favourite and the reasoning behind it?

Ben

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

i use fluxbox. it's all i need. when i look for any software (or just about anything) i expect it to do one thing, and do it well.

Fluxbox is a little to light for my tastes, i still like KDE the most

If I'm looking for a full-featured environment, I'll go with Gnome. Otherwise, I'm SUPER SUPER minimalistic, running ion.

I've got two 19" Dell Trinitron monitors running at 1600x1200. It's amazing how many Xterms you can stuff into a setup like that when you've divided your screen up via frames.

Hello,

I use twm for my VNC linux sessions, and GNOME otherwise. I like KDE, but do not need all the Calendaring and so forth running on it at one time. Now, if the RH9 server was my primary box, I think I would KDE it full time.

Christian

Laitly Gnome, I really dislike kde

I never use VNC xnest --query all the way, whats the point of having an Xserver if you don't use it like one :P, thats one of the things i dislike about mac os x , can't use it on my Xterm/xnest/xserver ( I think VNC is slow as well ).

Member Avatar for TKSS

I use the Rox Desktop for my needs. If you haven't checked it out...you really should. http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/

What's nice about it is that you have application directories that you install the application to instead of just common packages. That way, you can have everything installed to its own directory and organization is key for it.

They also have a really nice feature that turns your computer into its own thin client...you can run programs remote without installing in Rox via caching with something called Zero Install. I really dig Rox because of the absolute forward thinking of the developers.

The filer does take some getting used to, but after about a week I was set and good to go. I now don't ever want to go back to other systems. Rox is a fantastic desktop. Everyone give it a serious look and you won't be sorry.

Screenshots from the project page.

What's nice about it is that you have application directories that you install the application to instead of just common packages. That way, you can have everything installed to its own directory and organization is key for it.

Thats the same way NextSTEP series does it (NextSTEP/OpenStep/Mac OS X) does things, Its really a nice way (one of the things i like about OS X).

Im going to go have an attempt at that desktop looks really nice

i use XFCE and KDE

twm, just because it was the first one I got a feel for and I never bothered to switch to another. ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.