Hey I don't want to sound like a total noobie so forgive me but here goes:

I'm really new to this - just installed Mandrake 9.2 a few days ago. So far so good, except I can't seem to change the screen resolution. It defaulted to 1280x1024 and that ran fine, but when i try to change it to a lower res (1024x768, 800x600, 640x480) it doesnt seem to respond. I've tried restarting and whatnot but nothing seems to have changed. I checked the etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file and it reflects the changed resolution i have configured but still no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Desktop or laptop?

Hey I don't want to sound like a total noobie so forgive me but here goes:

I'm really new to this - just installed Mandrake 9.2 a few days ago. So far so good, except I can't seem to change the screen resolution. It defaulted to 1280x1024 and that ran fine, but when i try to change it to a lower res (1024x768, 800x600, 640x480) it doesnt seem to respond. I've tried restarting and whatnot but nothing seems to have changed. I checked the etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file and it reflects the changed resolution i have configured but still no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I am having a similar problem in Mdk 10, I have tried modifying the XF86Config-4 file but it doesn't seem to make a difference, I have checked for errors in the dmesg and /var/log/ I can't find any problems there. I have tried all the gui's to make the changes and still nothing. The gui's (pick your favorite) seem to make a change in the XF86Config-4 but they are not effecting the resolution. I am continuing to experiment but it is frustrating to find that any "inappropriate" changes crash the Xserver and I have to restart X all over again. - One thing, before making any changes, make a back up of your XF86Config-4 so that you can always go back using the Ctrl+F2 screen. :rolleyes: One work around I am using, stuck in 1400x1024, I have increased the fonts in Gnome so that I can at least see text ;). I will post an update once I get this thing solved. - PS, my machine is a laptop, Dell D600.

Member Avatar for TKSS

What video card are you all using?

I really need to pick up on Mandrake, so I may be wrong, but on every other distro I have used, the proper file to edit is the XF86Config, not XF86Config-4. /etc/X11/XF86Config for example. Try that one, and tell how it works

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.