Hello all!

I don't know if anyone here knows how to fix this but I thought I would give it a try. I have a hp pavillion a620n desktop computer has been having a lot of trouble with my internet. Recently it has been taking a long time for each page to load when I am on the internet(3-5mins). I first thought it was my internet provider and I called them and we walked thru all the trouble shooting before they said that the problem actually is 'the windows operating system'. They told me that my speed is 4.54mbps(I dont know what that is, but it has been working fine for a long time, and the speed was fine). The computer is working with window xp and when I say that this is a recent problem I mean that it just started this yesterday. I am really confused and do not know what to do. I am working on my laptop now but I need my desktop for my work...this also tells me it is the computer itself. If anyone can help it will be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Alexa

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi Alexa

What version of Internet Explorer are you using? If IE is causing you problems, you can always try Firefox (unless you already have it).

If you let me know what version if IE you have, we can help you fix the issue.

There are many things that slow down Internet downloading. Some you can do something about, and some you can't:

1. Things you can do something about:

- Clean out malware (spyware and viruses slow down your computer).

- Don't run more than one malware scanner at a time (two of them waste time keep watching each other).

- Close other open windows. Each open window reduces the time the computer can spend on your download.

- Shut off personal calendars, alarms, and assistants (they use up time too).

- Minimize the number of programs running in the system tray (the icons in the right side of the taskbar - the lowest bar on the screen - they use up time because they run all the time).

- Your processor speed (new computer?).

- Your RAM size (too small, and the computer uses the hard disk to swap stuff in and out, taking a huge amount of time).

- Your hard disk size (if it is nearly full, Windows spends more time loading and saving files).

- Your Internet connection speed (this is the 4.54 mbps - that's 4,540,000 bits per second - the maximum speed stuff can move over your connection - pay more for higher speed).

- Your monitor resolution (too low, and the computer uses up extra time shrinking images to fit your screen - this clobbers movies).

- The use of hard disk data compression programs (uses up a LOT of time - DON'T USE).

- The time of day you use the Internet (avoid the hours of 4 pm - 9 pm to avoid the daily rush for US users).

- Your ISP's internet trunk line speed and capacity, balanced against the total amount of customer use (if it is overloaded, change ISP).

- If you have DSL, how far you live from the phone company exchange switch (longer cables slow DSL speed).

- Too many telephone/answering machine/fax devices on your DSL line.

2. Things you can NOT do something about:

- The website owner's host computer is slow.

- The internet trunk line speed and capacity of the ISP of the site you are downloading from, balanced against the total amount of client-user use (if it is overloaded, all users downloading from the site will experience the same slowing).

- There are ads on the web page, and the advertising site is overloaded or has a slow trunk line.

- Greedy ads on the web page are running moving images which soak up time. Some of them actually inhibit the rest of the download until the ad finishes it spiel, so you can't keep from watching it.

- Huge file sizes on the website.

- Too many people deluging the website at the same time (why you need to avoid 4 pm - 9 pm).

- If the website is in another country, the trunk lines into that country might be the speed limitation.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.