Hello,
I administer 6-8 laptops for a large printing company’s electrical department; there about 30-35 users of these laptops i try to keep them as alike as possible (installed programs).
We recently were forced to change operating systems to Win200 and Now XP, we were using Win98se for mainly legacy programs to access the plant systems and machine programmable logic controllers.

The problem I have is when a normal user tries to use a program that requires a device driver adjustment, or a change to the static TCPIP address they do not have the permissions to do this, only the administrator has that level.

How can I give say (Power Users) or a group I could add locally that ability?
I would not prefer to give administrator privilege to all users.
Our corporate domain authenticates all users.

Thank you,

Mark Wudtke

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Member Avatar for TKSS

Hello,
I administer 6-8 laptops for a large printing company’s electrical department; there about 30-35 users of these laptops i try to keep them as alike as possible (installed programs).
We recently were forced to change operating systems to Win200 and Now XP, we were using Win98se for mainly legacy programs to access the plant systems and machine programmable logic controllers.

The problem I have is when a normal user tries to use a program that requires a device driver adjustment, or a change to the static TCPIP address they do not have the permissions to do this, only the administrator has that level.

How can I give say (Power Users) or a group I could add locally that ability?
I would not prefer to give administrator privilege to all users.
Our corporate domain authenticates all users.

Thank you,

Mark Wudtke

Write a batch script that executes the changes and runs under a different user to make the changes you need. Drop this into the individual users' startup file so that when they logon...it auto executes and makes the changes necessary. That way you can put it only in the users' who need it startup file.

You can create a group for these users and adjust local security policy for this group on each machine. You may have to adjust the domain security policy also to allow it. You do this through the Control panel/administrative tools/local security policy/ user rights assignment . I'm not sure exactly which rights you are going to need , but (load and unload device drivers) and (modify firmware environment values) come to mind.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.