Is there any way to edit windows boot.ini outside windows?,i mean editing boot.ini without loging in to xp.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Sure boot to a command prompt or boot to the recovery console or remove the hard drive and plug it into another system as a slave, I think you can do it that way as well . . .

Yes, boot INI is a just a text file. You can use the windows recovery console (hitting R when you boot from the windows install disk) command line to access and edit it.

If you have a CD bootable OS (probably Linux), another operating system on the computer, or if you can put the hard drive in another system, you can use any simple text editor to alter the file.

Also, if it's just not loading and you think it's a problem with the boot.ini, the recovery console also has the "fixboot" command that will analyze your system and generate a new boot.ini at a default configuration.

But i dont have the xp cd..and nor my friends have.is there any any other way..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.