I have been using Win XP for a couple of months now, having returned to PCs after 4 years of using an Apple Mac!
When I click on a folder to open it, it opens in a new window. Any folders in that one also open in a new window. I cannot seem to change this behaviour, despite changing tools/folder options for the windows, and in control panel.
Clicking to go up a level DOES keep it in the same window, but then clicking on the folder again opens it in a new window! The only way I can prevent a new window opening is to right click on a folder & select open.
Possibly related, I also had a problem recently with all folders opening into a search window - I solved this by going into control panel/folder options. The file type was set to 'find' in Advanced settings. I had to add a new item, browse (and select explorer) , and set it to the default. However, it won't let me edit or remove 'find' or 'browse' - nor indeed any of the file type options at all (I am logged in as the owner, and am the only user of the PC). (SP2 has been installed from the start.)
Any suggestions will be greatfully received, as it's driving me nuts!!!

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

Did you try in a folder click on Tools->Folder Options then click the view tab and is launch folder in a differnt process checked?

Did you try in a folder click on Tools->Folder Options then click the view tab and is launch folder in a differnt process checked?

Thanks for the suggestion - I've checked, and launch folder in a different process is unchecked. I've tried playing around with these options, but the problem remains! Maybe if I keep trying I'll eventually sort it out!
Best wishes for Christmas.

Thanks for the suggestion - I've checked, and launch folder in a different process is unchecked. I've tried playing around with these options, but the problem remains! Maybe if I keep trying I'll eventually sort it out!
Best wishes for Christmas.

So are you saying the browse folder, section is set like mine to open within the same window .see attached picture

So are you saying the browse folder, section is set like mine to open within the same window .see attached picture

I'm afraid so!
I even trying backing up to a restore point before it was happening, but that didn't reset it.

This problem could occur because of Spyware , go on over to the Security section of this fourm and post you problem along with a hijackthis log .
Spyware & Trojans and Other Nasties
Please Don't post the hijackthis log in this section Thanks .

Please do this.
Download 'Hijack This!'. HijackThis
Save it in a convenient permanent folder such as C:\HJT\, double click HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

Your copy of HijackThis needs to be in a folder of it's own. When HJT fixes anything, it makes backups of the original files in the folder it is in. Since Temporary folders are emptied now and then (the files are DELETED), it would not be a good idea to have your backups there. Those backups would be VITAL to restoring your system if something went wrong in the FIX process!

1. Please go to you're 'My Documents' folder, right-click and select 'New > Folder' then name the folder 'HJT'.

2. Copy and paste HijackThis.exe to the new folder.

3. Close ALL windows except HJT

4. SCAN with HJT

5. POST the new log in this thread using 'Add Reply'

DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES OR CLICK "FIX CHECKED" UNTIL WE CHECK THE LOG, AS SOME OF THE FILES ARE LEGIT AND VITAL TO YOUR COMPUTER'S HEALTH

Thank you for your suggestions.

I have just done a scan with Hijack This, and posted the original message & the log in he Security section. (I also have McAfee security suite, and Adaware installed.)

Hmm, well I tried this and I get a popup , then it closes. So no, it dont work.
Looks like a little nice program too.

I am having the identical problem Charles 21 described and I have also confirm all folder option settings are correct. Did anyone figure out the solution short of re-installing Win XP?

No, I received an email telling me my HijackThis log seemed to have been overlooked on the security pages!
It may be just a coincidence, but I also ran Spyware Blaster and had more strange problems - Firefox would occasionally pause when downloading a file, and the download would not start. Trying to load any webpage/site after this would simply result in a blank window with 'Done' in the status bar. Closing and reopening Firefox didn't cure it - and trying IE produced the same results (a blank window). The only cure was a reboot.
I couldn't figure out what was causing it (even reinstalling Firefox made no difference, though the same downloads worked in IE if I didn't try them in Firefox first) so I bit the bullet and reinstalled XP.
Since I did, the Explorer problem and Firefox problems have gone away ('hope I'm not tempting fate here!).

Re-installing Win XP was what I have been told to do by a systems tech. But not what I want to do. Might not have a choice unless I find a Registry Ediiting Expert, I guess I will be frustrated for awhile longer.

Thanks for replying.

First let me say Im sorry to Charles21 that i missed you hijacklog back when you posted it ,a quick look at it now ,it doesent look bad .
Anyway instead of reinstall of XP ,why not try a repair install ,or just A System file check.
Go to Start /Run type in SFC /SCANNOW

Hello,

I have received a response from www.protonic.com (another forum) to fix the folder issue. It is a windows registry item. The details are in the attached file if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the attempt to help me resolve.

Hello,

I have received a response from www.protonic.com (another forum) to fix the folder issue. It is a windows registry item. The details are in the attached file if anyone is interested.

Thank you for sharing this - I'll certainly try it if the problem comes back!

:confused: Tried that as well, and diddnt fix the issue either, Windows explorer still opens folders in a seperate window. :cry:

Hello,

This hack works. Thanks a lot.

Can someone help me install websites in a folder to use in FIrefox? I can't seem to understand how to do that.
many thanks
cw

Can someone help me install websites in a folder to use in FIrefox? I can't seem to understand how to do that.
many thanks
cw

for best help results you should creat a new thread with you problem and you should make yoursel a littler clearer as to what you mean ,as im not sure what you mean by install websites in a folder ,what are u trying to accomplish .

Hello,

Awesome! It fixed a coworker's machine. Was worth registering to get the answer.

... and now I know a trick to play on "That guy who's always pissing me off".

:confused: Tried that as well, and diddnt fix the issue either, Windows explorer still opens folders in a seperate window. :cry:

I'm having the same problem, tried everything, but the problem remains.
The problem appeared after trying to modify the default icon of "File Folder" through Folder Options->File Types.

Help!

Member Avatar for Bertrum

Hello,

This fix can also be found at the Microsoft support site under an entry about the search companion launching when clicking a folder. I seem to remember an earlier version of this fix suggested that it may not be the search companion that got launched, but other odd behaviour as well. The solution includes a description of what causes the problem which may be of use.

Microsoft Kbase article

Hello,

Roman candles that burn in the night,
Yeah, you are a shining light.

Man, i had the same problem and it was driving me nuts!!
I specially joined this forum for this. And your solution worked. Awesome.
you are my hero! Proposal team rocks.
:-)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.