This just started recently. My laptop will turn off with no warning. It has done this a few times already, after the laptop has been on for maybe less than 10 minutes sometimes. I just earlier got the BSOD for the first time for this problem. The reason that it stated was DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. I'm not sure which driver, or I guess possibly hardware unit, that could be causing it to just shut off like this. The laptop does get somewhat hot at times, so I'm guessing that something may have messed up one of the times that it got very hot. I'm just curious of which area I should be looking for to find out why this problem is occuring. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

This just started recently. My laptop will turn off with no warning. It has done this a few times already, after the laptop has been on for maybe less than 10 minutes sometimes. I just earlier got the BSOD for the first time for this problem. The reason that it stated was DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. I'm not sure which driver, or I guess possibly hardware unit, that could be causing it to just shut off like this. The laptop does get somewhat hot at times, so I'm guessing that something may have messed up one of the times that it got very hot. I'm just curious of which area I should be looking for to find out why this problem is occuring. Thanks.

Bluescreens can also be caused by physical faults such as faulty memory, power supplies, overheating of computer components, or hardware running beyond its specification limits.
contact the dealer immediately , ur lucky if ur laptop is in warranty

I am wondering if something like the RAM sticks getting too hot could cause them to not work properly, and cause this problem. If so, would changing out the RAM sticks or whatever solve the problem? I'm guessing so. I pretty much just want to know which components would cause it to turn off with no warning.

Sounds like an overheat or dodgy ram

You can run a diagnostic on your RAM using a thing called MemTest86

Try another bit of software http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ and check the CPU temps too. They should be ideally under 50, and definately under 90.

Alright. I ran MemTest86, and it said that everything passed.

I also have CoreTemp running, and when the laptop is sitting on a surface, the way it should be, the temperature is in the high 80s, and when I have it propped up so that there is no surface under it, the temperature is at the low 70s (That's with the bottom cover for the fan off).

I'm guessing that it's the temperature causing this. Would there be any way to put in a better fan, or do I just have to use one of the external fans that are made to use on your lap?

yeah thats too hot

Are those temps when idle or when under load?

Whats the room temp like?

Well when ur normally running your laptop (which means not running ne program at that instance )
check how much processor % is being used .
usually it around 10 % or so if u arent running ne programs as such .
even in the ideal mode of the laptop if the processor usage is around 50 % or higher , then it seems like some potentially unwanted programs are running .

Well, I bought a cooling fan to go under my laptop, and it is keeping the temperature around 73, so it seems to be helping out significantly. It hasn't shut off on me again, so I guess I will just have to rely on the cooling fan. It hardly gets over 80 now, even when running programs, so it should be fine now. Thanks for the help.

a can of compressed air ,blow off the heatsinc fins and the fan ,a small cover of dust will case higher heat

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.