Running Outlook 2003. Recently got an iPhone and switched from getting mail via POP3 to IMAP. Like IMAP a lot better EXCEPT for how Outlook handles it - it sucks. Outlook for some reason randomnly cannot connect to the server (I check several e-mail accounts on several servers). Thereafter, most of the time I have to delete the account and recreate it or it just keeps throwing an error that it can't connect. It is a REAL pain. See reports of similar problems even with newer versions of Outlook.

So my research points to initially to possibly Zimbra as the best alternative. Here's my needs:

1. I'm an independent consultant - just one user. So I don't want to install a server product. It should work of my existing IMAP servers.

2. It needs to be able to sync my calendar and contacts with my iPhone. (I just use IMAP on my iPhone to get my email)

3. I need to be able to import all my calendar and contacts into Zimbra (or some other e-mail client) from Outlook 2003 and store them locally, not on a server, unless somehow I can get my IMAP server to store them (I assume not.) I also have so e-mail folders in Outlook with messages that are archived and not on my IMAP server that I want to import into Zimbra.

What's the best solution?

Thanks much in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Well first POP3 and IMAP are different protocols with different ways of working on different ports. So you have to set up your email program (outlook) to accept both of these requests. Permissions should be set up in outlook for each account. Outlook needs to know what type of server it is accessing with the correct permissions checked for each idividual account.

Well first POP3 and IMAP are different protocols with different ways of working on different ports. So you have to set up your email program (outlook) to accept both of these requests. Permissions should be set up in outlook for each account. Outlook needs to know what type of server it is accessing with the correct permissions checked for each idividual account.

Maybe you missed the point of my message. My Outlook gets my e-mail via IMAP fine, 99% of the time.

Maybe you missed the point of my message. My Outlook gets my e-mail via IMAP fine, 99% of the time.

Just wondering if you think, " It works great with IMAP so it must work with POP3." , or some other dumb nonsense?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.