Hello,
I just acquired this laptop. It's an ACER Aspire 4520. Not all that bad and worth recovering. Anyways the person who owned it before me had an administration account on this computer, and I have no clue what the password is. Is there anyway I can reset it without losing all of the data?

You can remove the vista password with Windows Password Key which is considered as the best tool to reset local administrator and user passwords on any Windows system. Just 3 steps,you can remove the unknow password in seconds.
Download the utility and install it then burn the software to a CD/USB drive,then insert the newly created CD/USB drive to your locked pc and reboot your computer,then press "F2" to enter your BIOS setup,following the instruction to reset your lost windows password.

Now you can Reset Windows Vista Administrator password with Three Simple Methods:

Method 1: Reset Windows Vista administrator password on safe mode

* Preparation Time: about 10 minutes
* Pros: Simple and do not need third party tools
* Cons: Need an available admin account on your Vista PC

Step 1: Press F8 when your Windows Vista PC is booting. You will come to the Advanced Boot Options. Then choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt and press Enter.

Step 2: Enter safe mode with an available admin account.

Step 3: Type net user and press Enter. The command prompt will show you all accounts on the Windows Vista PC.

Step 4: Type net user Paul 123 (Paul is the locked admin account's name and 123 is the new password) and press Enter. Now you have successfully created a new password on the locked admin account.

Step 5: Type shutdown -r -t 00 and press Enter.
Your Windows Vista PC should be rebooted automatically and then you can log on Windows Vista with the new password.

Method 2: Recover Windows Vista administrator password with freeware

* Preparation Time: More than 30 minutes
* Pros: Free and do not need to change the forgotten password
* Cons: The freeware should not work if the password is too long

Ophcrack is used to create a Windows password recovery disk. You need to boot your computer from the disk to recover your password. You can follow these easy steps:

Step 1: Download Ophcrack

Step 2: Burn a Windows password recovery disk with the freeware

Step 3: Recover the forgotten Windows Vista admin password with the disk

You can log on Windows Vista with the old password now.

Method 3: Reset Windows Vista administrator password with shareware

* Preparation Time: less than 5 minutes
* Pros: Fast and 100% reset the forgotten password
* Cons: Not free

SNIP

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.