Okay. Well. I bought a computer a while ago and it came with Windows 7 already installed. The computer didn't come with a Windows 7 disk. This computer then needed a fresh install of windows due to a problem. Well, since I didn't have a Windows 7 disk, I installed XP for the time being, because I had a disk. Now, I'm stuck with XP and want Windows 7 back. Is there any possible way to get it back?

-No Disk
-Computer came with Windows 7 when bought
-XP on it now

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Did it come with a recovery partition? Many computers are shipped without install disks. These computers typically have a partition that contains an image that will restore your computer to factory state. If the computer originally shipped with Windows 7 then that is what will be restored. Make sure you copy any files that you don't want to lose to an external drive.

also ,let us know the make and model of the computer ,is it a desktop or laptop

Well, it may have come with a partition. But I already deleted it if anything and installed windows XP over it. The computer is a desktop. I built it.

Hi everyone
I have many problems with my laptop. It would be great if you can help me.
I have a Sony vaio VGN-FW280J. I had a windowns vista and Linux ubunutu is the same time on my machine (dual boot- grub2). Unofortunately, my windows had some virus that I counld not clean it and I decided to recover. I used recovery option of grub2 menu. After doing this, my C driver was formatted, but, it could not be recovered. The recovery DVD didn't work and I bought a window 7 to install new windows. When I put DVD and installation begins, I have this error: "Windows cannot be supported to this disk. This computer's hardware maynot support booting...." with current situation, I have 2 drive (Recovery and C). I tried to use advanced option and format, delet and new... all attempts was unsuccessful. One of my friend advised me to disable AHCI in Bios. I don't know how can I go into bios. I tried different keys such as F1, F2, ESC, DEL, F10. With pressing F2, Setup starts, F10 have this message: "a disk read error occured" and other keys don't work. All my attemps were totally unsuccessful. Do you have any idea how can i solve this problem?
Thanks in advance

Hi everyone
I have many problems with my laptop. It would be great if you can help me.
I have a Sony vaio VGN-FW280J. I had a windowns vista and Linux ubunutu is the same time on my machine (dual boot- grub2). Unofortunately, my windows had some virus that I counld not clean it and I decided to recover. I used recovery option of grub2 menu. After doing this, my C driver was formatted, but, it could not be recovered. The recovery DVD didn't work and I bought a window 7 to install new windows. When I put DVD and installation begins, I have this error: "Windows cannot be supported to this disk. This computer's hardware maynot support booting...." with current situation, I have 2 drive (Recovery and C). I tried to use advanced option and format, delet and new... all attempts was unsuccessful. One of my friend advised me to disable AHCI in Bios. I don't know how can I go into bios. I tried different keys such as F1, F2, ESC, DEL, F10. With pressing F2, Setup starts, F10 have this message: "a disk read error occured" and other keys don't work. All my attemps were totally unsuccessful. Do you have any idea how can i solve this problem?
Thanks in advance

please do not hijack someones thread ,please start your own

The computer is a desktop. I built it.

it only would have deleted it if you told it to delete the 2 partitions when installing winxp . open mycomputer do you see 2 partitions ,like C:\ and D:\,d would/should be the recovery partition ,if you did deleted it then you need to borrow a win7 dvd ,from a friend ,same version as yours and just use the key on the side of your desktop

curious as to how a desktop you built, can come with win7 already installed ,when one builds a computer its from parts they buy ,if you did that the hard drive would not have had win7 installed o nit ,??

there is no way to get back the windows 7 better you should purchase windows 7 DVD

If you completely wiped the hard drive and the recovery partition is gone then one option would be to go back to the store where you boght the computer and ask them to restore it to the purchased state. This is a straight image restore that should take very little time. A reputable store won't charge you an arm and a leg for this. If they do then just buy your own Windoes 7 disk.

first you said it came with windows 7 when bought, and then you say you assembled it yourself, one of two doesn't fit :)

Anyway, if you bought it legally there should be a serial code for windows 7 on the case (in my case, it used to be on the top).
Just lend a windows 7 DVD from a friend, it doesn't matter which version he has: microsoft prints all versions on the same disk to save on pressing costs.(source)
If you use your own serial, you should be fine.

EDIT: oh wait, you need to be sure wether your computer and the DVD are both the same bit-version. 32 bit and 64 bit do go on different disks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.