Okay, I guess this is my question for all you internet gurus out there. Which is better? Firefox or the new Internet Explorer v7.0?

I dont' want anyone posting about the older versions of IE, because I think we wall know they don't compare to firefox, but I must admit I've been impressed with the flexibility and speed of the new updated IE.

For example, the images on my firefox browser load slower than when I load the same site on IE7.0. Furthermore everything seems to be clearer and it seems like a lot of the options that I thought were unique to Firefox have been added to IE. Like the "open a tab" feature and such. So feel free to post your comments.

Which do you think is the better browser?
Firefox or Internet Explorer 7.0?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Here is my take on it: it is very clear that Microsoft likes to dabble with Open Source Software, they even hired a Linux Guru, presented him a lot of money and took him to work on projects to understand the open source community. Read about it in my blog, Daniel Robbins and the Microsoft Memo. But as you can tell, IE 7.0 have similar feel and tools to FireFox. I have experience many bugs with IE already. FireFox is still more stable than IE in it's current state, plus, it's pioneered and much more experienced that IE 7. IE is catching up to what FireFox has already released. The flaws and patches are still found more and more on IE. IE is still a vulnerability in Windows while FireFox is a secure, trustworthy Web Browser.

Which do you think is the better browser?
Firefox or Internet Explorer 7.0?

Opera 9.01! (Sorry could not resist) :cheesy:

Totally agreed with extofer, deep integration into the system is a security risk by design and for me, the safer browser is the better choice. Traditionally, MS doesn't distinguish between system and application and this has brought us many woes. In addition, AFAIK IE7 has no features or functions that a) are new or b) don't exist in Firefox (or Opera) or c) are implemented in a more elegant way.
Someone here has a nice phrase in his signature: "Friends don't let friends use IE" and when you browse through the "Viruses, Spyware and other Nasties" forum here, you know why. I don't see that IE7 will improve that much. But that's only my 1.5 cents.

My take on it is this, the most recent version of IE (how long has it been since IE 6, how long till IE8?) has just about caught up to the previous FireFox version. Well done Microsoft, but I'll stay with FF for now thanks.

My take on it is this, the most recent version of IE (how long has it been since IE 6, how long till IE8?) has just about caught up to the previous FireFox version. Well done Microsoft, but I'll stay with FF for now thanks.

I think I agree with you. Let them work out the kinks in the system before we jump in and embrace IE again. Opera huh? I've heard of that browser, but not actually tried it. Maybe I'll give it a shot. Although three browsers on my CPU might be overhaul I think... Still I'm not quite sure I like firefox as much as IE7.0 if just for the faster imaging service that IE has. Everything loads lighting quick. Maybe I'm just seeing things... Of course, security is still an issue like you guys said. So I guess that quesiton we're asking here is the security worth the lost miliseconds of wait time? lol... :rolleyes:

Agreed with the rest of the guys, etc.. :cheesy:

So I guess that quesiton we're asking here is the security worth the lost miliseconds of wait time? lol...

I guess it all depends on what ya do on the computer. If you EVER use it for banking, or stock trading, or anything dealing with money or personal data (SSN, etc) I would DEFINITEly use Firefox the entire time. Some bugs that IE can produce can even read data in FF streams.

Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.