I installed a dual boot system with windows 98SE first then windows XP. Now I can't get but 16 colors on my display. I know I need drivers but don't know where or how to get them. The problem of looking up the correct driver is i'll be looking up the driver for a compaq presario windows XP, which is the computer I have all this on. But I need display drivers for windows 98SE. What kind of drivers and number do I look for. Thanks! Too much for me!

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I installed a dual boot system with windows 98SE first then windows XP. Now I can't get but 16 colors on my display. I know I need drivers but don't know where or how to get them. The problem of looking up the correct driver is i'll be looking up the driver for a compaq presario windows XP, which is the computer I have all this on. But I need display drivers for windows 98SE. What kind of drivers and number do I look for. Thanks! Too much for me!

so the win98 only shows the 16 colors right ,go to Compaq website and search your your model/model number, and it should direct you to drivers for win98 ,or post the model number here and i will search for them for you .
You could also use a program called Everest to tell you what Video chipset you have and what drivers to look for .
http://www.filehippo.com/download_everest_home/

Yes the windows 98SE os on drive C is the one I need drivers for. But its a dual boot OS. 98 on C XP on D. I can give you the chip set number for the CPU all this is running on but thats not going to match up to windows 98 os is it? Here it is anyway. I have all the graphics drivers on a CD but when I try to load them to windows 98SE os it tells me its already installed and do I want to replace them. I said yes but it said the drivers where not for this os.

Chipset Properties
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8378(A)
UniChrome KM400(A)
In-Order Queue Depth 4
CAS Latency 2.5T
RAS Precharge 2T

Integrated Graphics Controller
Graphics Controller Type VIA/S3 UniChrome
Graphics Controller Status Enabled
Graphics Frame Buffer Size 64 MB

Memory Slots
DRAM Slot #1 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)

AGP Properties
AGP Version 3.05
AGP Status Enabled
AGP Aperture Size 64 MB
Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x
Current AGP Speed 4x
Fast-Write Not Supported
Side Band Addressing Supported, Enabled

Chipset Manufacturer
Company Name VIA Technologies, Inc.
Product Information http://www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/chipsetindex.jsp
Driver Download http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

Problems & Suggestions
Problem Current AGP speed is lower than maximum supported. This may cause performance penalty.

installed the video drivers you showed me. Worked great!!! Thanks so much. Now if you would be so kind and show me the sound drivers then I would have sound too.

installed these drivers. ComboAudio_A1u390a Have sound now. Thanks for all your help.

installed these drivers. ComboAudio_A1u390a Have sound now. Thanks for all your help.

you are welcome ,glad it all helped

need some more help. I have 2 motherboards listed in the device drivers. One has an exclamation mark beside it. Deleted both rebooted but windows 98se installed both of them again. How do I get rid of the bad one with the exclamation mark. Should I mark this thread solved and start a new thread on the motherboard?

not sure .if it not causing problems ,i wouldn't worry ,

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.