Hi,

I have little siblings and they have their own computers. They both run XP Home SP2 and I have them on a home network. I would like to know since I cannot change group policies and am only limited to assigning an administrative account (some of their games don't work in limited mode), if I could somehow disable these things myself in the registry? Things that I would like to disable are:

1) The ability to download or install things without the Admin's password
2) Run
3) Task Manager
4) Change password
5) Lock the computer
6) Change monitor settings (screen resolution, etc. but leave them the ability to change the wallpaper and the screensaver)

Or maybe there is some free software out there that can do that. Thanks guys

nikkisboricua

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Yeah...

I can do that for you. Some of the things that you request, are going to require something more than a registry tweak... but I'm sure it's something that can be done.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "Lock The Computer"

I don't have an option for that on my system.... so do you mean like, a screen saver password?

1) The ability to download or install things without the Admin's password
2) Run
3) Task Manager
4) Change password
5) Lock the computer
6) Change monitor settings (screen resolution, etc. but leave them the ability to change the wallpaper and the screensaver)
nikkisboricua

1) Still Researching, and making wild attempts at coding
2) Complete
3) Complete
4) Complete
5) Uncertain of meaning
6) Complete

Member Avatar for Geek-Master

Locking the computer is a default on Windows 2003 Server. When the screen saver starts after a few seconds it will "Lock the Computer". Locking the computer using Windows XP Home locally, you will need to Ctrl, Alt, Delete in order to get to the Windows Security window. There is a selection you need to click to lock it from there.

Try making your users a member of the "Power Users", this account allows users with Admin power but still has restrictions to what you can do.

1) Still Researching, and making wild attempts at coding
2) Complete
3) Complete
4) Complete
5) Uncertain of meaning
6) Complete

Yes, thank you so much. If you could just post those remedies. sry that i havn't been on; my computer network was down for a while.

hahahah i know its not going to do with registry , just to disable your account limitation and its very easy......buttttttt madam or sir thats a common saying no lift without a gift.
:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.