I have a Dell Inspiron Netbook and for the life of me I cannot seem tog et it connected to the internet wirelessly. I have a wireless router, which is working fine, because my other devices all connect with no problem. But with thsi Dell netbook, when I try to connect to a wireless network it says

"No wireless networks were found in range. Make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on. To see an updated list, click 'Refresh network list.'"

So

1. I have no idea why the wireless network is not found. The router is right next to me. Literally, one foot away right now, and nothing else has problems finding it.

2. 'Make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on'. I don't evenknow what this means. Where is the wireless switch? There doesn't seem to be one on this model laptop.

3. I can refresh the network lsit all day but ti still detects nothing.

I'm pulling out my hair at this point. I've been googling for solutions for about a week now and have made no progress.

Recommended Answers

All 25 Replies

what is your laptop model number DeLL Inspiron XXXX?

Looking at the bottom, I see a label that says Model No: PP39S

Is that what you mean?

also, checking my order from when I bought it, it says "Inspiron 910 Intel Atom processor N270, 1.6GHz, 533Mhz512K L2 Cache"

It is running Windows.

Edited because it inserted smilies O_o

I have this Netbook, and there's no switch.
Is SSID broadcast on?
Are the wireless adapter drivers installed?
Can you connect via ethernet?
Is the Wireless Zero Service running?
Have you run the wireless Network wizard?

>> Is SSID broadcast on?

Yes, other devices have no problem finding the network.

>> Are the wireless adapter drivers installed?
I thought so... How can I be 100% sure of this?

>> Can you connect via ethernet?
Yup, a wired connection works fine.

>> Is the Wireless Zero Service running?
Yep, just checked and it is running.

Look in Device manager under Network adapters. You should see two, one for wired and one for wireless

Yes there is one for Ethernet, and the other says Broadcom 802.11g which is wireless correct?

Yes.
Uninstall this adapter and reboot to reinstall it. (Just rt-click it in Device Manager).
It's possible you need to update this driver, so check the Dell site also.

I uninstalled it and restarted. A messaged popped up in the bottom right corner and it was back in the device manager. I guess it was reinstalled automatically?

I went to the dell website and came to this part:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WW1&osl=EN&catid=5&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INSPIRON910&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=

So I want the Broadcom driver that says Wireless LAN, not the on that says Bluetooth or any of the other ones right? I downloaded it and installed it but there was no change.

Run the wireless network wizard.

I ran the wizard. I'm not sure if I did it right. It wanted me to plug a USB flash drive in and then then plug the drive into the access point.

However here's something I noticed. I saw that after installing that updated driver, ther is a wireless configuration utility in the control panel. I ran it and clicked Add Network and it tells me this:

"The Dell wireless WLAN card is still disabled. Slide the wireless ON/OFF switch to enable it or press Fn-F2 to enable it."

Now I know there's no on off switch, but I did press Fn-F2 and nothing happened.

I also noticed that the "2" key has a blue icon of what looks like a radio tower or something which makes me think maybe Fn-2 is supposed to turn on wireless? But I tried pressing that too and nothing happened.

Edit: Visual Aid
http://www.gottabemobile.com/content/binary/WindowsLiveWriter/MoreDellInspiron910InformationLeaksOut_FADF/image_2.png

try shift + 2

Fn-2 is the proper key combo.
Do you see a wireless icon in the system tray?

Fn-2 seems to do nothing. In the system tray, I see the wireless icon with a red X on it, and it says "Wireless Connection 3 not connected. Right Click here for more options"

Not sure if that's the icon you mean, but I see no other icons related to wireless.

That's the icon. I don't think there's any visible sign when you toggle it.
What happens when you right-click?
You should get a list of wireless networks.

I right click and there is a popup menu with the following options:

Change Windows Firewall Settings
View Network Connections
Repair
View Available Wireless Networks

I did try hitting repair, but as it goes through the repair process it gets to the "Connecting to the Wireless Network" step, it fails.

I also tried turning off the windows firewall but this also had no effect.

Clicking on View Available Wireless Networks simply brings up the screen tat says it cannot find any wireless networks.

Toggle the wireless adapter (Fn-2) and try to view again.
If that doesn't work, and your adapter says it's functioning, you need to get in touch with Dell. This has always worked flawlessly for me, so either your configuration is way off, or there's a hardware problem.

Hold down the button Fn and F2 at the same time then its complete :)

ok this is an easy one
there are 2 ways to activate the card 1 is with the combination of the function button+ where you see a (((( signal bar on the end of the key

the second is to find the switch at the base near the keyboard (its usually where you close the laptop there shopuld be a switch just below the opening swich for the laptop

Better yet check two locatrions
the front of the laptop shoukld have a slide swith for the wifi card
most dell's do ...... and second ...it can be activated by one of the f function cards
it has a (((((*))))) symbol like this one or a !)))) icon on the key
that will turn it on and off ....good luck

Better yet check two locatrions
the front of the laptop shoukld have a slide swith for the wifi card
most dell's do ...... and second ...it can be activated by one of the f function cards
it has a (((((*))))) symbol like this one or a !)))) icon on the key
that will turn it on and off ....good luck

its been 7 months since poster had the problems ,but have to say your post is creative

the answer is simple my friend you have a switch that turns on the wifi from on the netbook if you dont see it type in the model on another computer andd locate the switch to turn it on..usually itsa on the front for Dell models i havent seen on on the side of it though or near the on off switch there too

the answer is simple my friend you have a switch that turns on the wifi from on the netbook if you dont see it type in the model on another computer andd locate the switch to turn it on..usually itsa on the front for Dell models i havent seen on on the side of it though or near the on off switch there too

and it also can be turned off in the bios on some laptops

You fisrt have to check whether your laptop has a wireless ethernet card or not and then check if it has any switch to make it on, then go to the network connection option and start to creat a new connection and then go to tcp/ip and select the option call take the ip addres automatically,wait and watch if it gets the ip addres then restart the laptop and then try to connect and if still it gives problem them try try to give the ip address manually .

I have a Dell Inspiron Netbook and for the life of me I cannot seem tog et it connected to the internet wirelessly. I have a wireless router, which is working fine, because my other devices all connect with no problem. But with thsi Dell netbook, when I try to connect to a wireless network it says

"No wireless networks were found in range. Make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on. To see an updated list, click 'Refresh network list.'"

So

1. I have no idea why the wireless network is not found. The router is right next to me. Literally, one foot away right now, and nothing else has problems finding it.

2. 'Make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on'. I don't evenknow what this means. Where is the wireless switch? There doesn't seem to be one on this model laptop.

3. I can refresh the network lsit all day but ti still detects nothing.

I'm pulling out my hair at this point. I've been googling for solutions for about a week now and have made no progress.

Try pressing the F2 key (WITHOUT the Fn key) if it has what looks like the wireless symbol ((i)) on it. Normally you would hold down the Fn key at the same time to enable the "function" of the F2 key, but for some reason Dell reversed the function keys so that what WOULD have been Fn+F2 on older models is now just F2 on its own (without the Fn key).

[Link Removed]

I have a Mesh PC and Dell laptop connected thru a Belkin router. Both PCs use XPSP2.
I used to be able to file & printer share between the PCs but I had to do a complete reinstall on the laptop and since then the PCs can't see each other's files and printers.
Both can access Broadband thru the router OK.
I've tried adding the Laptop to my Home Network using the Wireless Network Wizard and a memory stick for data transfer. The Laptop said that the connection was successful but I still can't link accross for files or printers.
Any suggestions out there???

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.