I have a small LAN network (5 computers) as part of my small business and I would like a program that lets me monitor these computers from my master one. Things like desktop viewing and locking down would be good. I have found great programs such as NetVisor but since I have only just started this business I cannot really afford the £300 price tag.

So preferably I would like a free one, I understand I will not get much for that but I was hoping that someone here could recommend a program that suits my needs.

Thanks for your time and any help will be appreciated :)

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Sorry, I am in a hurry and I forget the name, but I think you can find one at Wincustomize.com. Give it a shot.

Thanks for your help but I looked on that site and didnt find anything, perhaps when not in a hurry you can direct me a bit more. Thanks once again

Whilst here, any other ideas?

It seems like you are talking about NetVizor, but that's almost like Spyware. ;)

What OS are you using on these systems?

If you are using Microsoft XP/2000/2003, you could setup a simple 2000/2003 domain controller and lockdown the desktops using group policies. And you would also be able to utilize Remote Desktop to connect to the machines remotely.

Or are you looking to do more in-depth monitoring of the actual workstations?

--Chris

Each system has XP with SP2. I just want to get screenshots of there monitor on my computer. Lockdowns and freezing mouse and sending system messages would be good but I understand I need to pay money for that kind of setup, unless you can tell me how to do it :)

NetVizor worked a treat but every 30mins a message would appear on there computer telling them that they are being watched. But I want it all hidden.

Thank you and hope you can continue to help and advice

I've been a SysAd for years and only log/monitor 3 things in earnest:

1) the snmp traffic on a given lan (and firewall traffic)

2) the dns requests each system makes

3) when a user logs in/out of a system & that systems ip on my network.

This covers just about anything someone would care about on a network.

It has been my experience when small buisness owners play the big brother games
employees leave. Generally, If someone wants to log into a given system and work on
it thats a different story. Everyone understands that they're capable of being tracked
and transactions are logged. This is deturrent eneough. Anything else is invasive and
usually indicates that the beancounters are out of beans and there are too many
chiefs and not eneough indians to go around.

You have to agree with Cain on his points--

Besides, most programs that allow you to see a users screen without them knowing would be spyware programs...

Most of the legit remote control/viewing software all have some sort of notification method (popup message, systray icon, etc).

As another deterrent, maybe try using the Welcome banner. Make a statement that all activity can and will be monitored. "By clicking OK, you consent to these terms..."

Office politics...fun fun fun.

--Chris

You are both right, thank you very much for your advice :)

one more thing, is there a way i can send a message to an IP address on my network. not a chat box, but a windows message box.

cheers

on a linux/unix box use the "wall" command while logged in as root.

on a windows box (if the communications package has been installed in its entirety)
start>run type "winpopup"
if its installed you can send to an ip/machinename/ntdomainuser

or

start>run type "cmd"
this will bring up a command tool
then use the "net" command to send your messages to a particular machine
test them out on yourself/your machine first.

enjoy,
Cain

one last thing, in the command thing. if i want to send a message to a computer on the network called COMPUTER1 what exactly would I type, all I know is that it begins with NET SEND

thanks cain

net ?
net send ?
will give you the syntax

net send /NTDOMAIN:COMPUTER1 Your message text afterward!

the version of the net command differs from os to os but the syntax should remain the same.

it says net sending not available on this network. not 2 worry, thanks for your help anyway :)

For Windows OSes...tThe receiving machine needs to have the Messenger service enabled and running. I don't think it's required on the sending machine, but it wouldn't hurt anyways so that you could in theory do very simple 2-way messaging...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.