which kind of router can be used to connect the LAN with about 100 pc to internet? i think the LAN is like school network or company network. if i use the normal cheap router with 4 ports, is it ok?

p.s. in my opinion about the network i want to design, only 1 core switch that is connected with many distribution switch connects to the router, but i dunno if it works.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Hello,

A router, by definition, is a device that connects two networks together. Either from a private 10.x network to a public network, or from a private 10.x to a private 192.x, or any combination thereof. If the IP address on one side is on a different subnet than the IP address on the other side, you have a router.

What your question is really asking What kind of router do I need for a 100 node network? Well, the answer/solution all depends on what kind of performance you would like to have on the network. If you have a bunch of devices using UPLINK ports, and then come to the network router, your clients are going to suffer.

The following is an example. Note it may not be the best solution for what you are looking for:

* Have a router / firewall (one device can do both) to start out with
* Determine if there are any public-access machines that need inbound access, such as a mail server, or web server. This area is known as a DMZ, and while it is not as locked-down as the internal network, it does receive protection.
* Have a 24-port switch for each classroom/lab. Uplink that data to a "master switch" that also has your servers on it.
* Have the master switch talk to the router.

Ideally, you will not have more than 3 - 4 hops between your internet connection and your end device (computer). Otherwise, you risk being able to order a pizza before that web page completely downloads. Also remember that 10/100 base T Cat 5 cabling is only good for 100 meters, and that assumes that your wiring crew maintains the crucial twists in the wire. No twists, and your cat 5 rating goes out the atmosphere.

Oh, and if you don't want to get specialized hardware for a router, you can use a simple linux box with 2 NIC cards installed. You can have the linux box do the routing, along with firewalling and DMZ management.

I hope this helps.

Christian

* Have a router / firewall (one device can do both) to start out with
* Determine if there are any public-access machines that need inbound access, such as a mail server, or web server. This area is known as a DMZ, and while it is not as locked-down as the internal network, it does receive protection.
* Have a 24-port switch for each classroom/lab. Uplink that data to a "master switch" that also has your servers on it.
* Have the master switch talk to the router.

i appreciate your explanation. well, if i want to set up about the network you mentioned, i only has one master switch to connect the router for the requirement. so 1 port of router is used , isn't it? is a 4 ports router needed to set up this network? also do i need to use optical fibre to connect the master switch to router?

Hello,

Unless cost is a significant factor, I would go with the multiport router. It is a hell of a lot easier to add on later than to replace the unit.

You will not need optical cable to connect the router to the switch, unless you have significant (100 meter) distance between the two, or an ungodly amount of electromagnetic interference in the immediate area. You can get Gigabit over Copper quite inexpensively.

You will see fibre connecting communications closets, but that is often because the main closet is over 100 meters from the sub closets.

Hope this helps.

Christian

i m student of computer field . i want to know about router. that how to arrange router configurations.so plz, can u give me a link of how to use & config a router .
my email id
SNIP

Cisco is always the answer

You can Have a CISCO Router.

Who are you guys referring to? The OP had already been long gone.

A router is commonly used as a gateway. It has all the functions of a switch and more besides. If you want to have wireless internet in your house, you need a wireless router. It can act (to some extent) as a firewall. It allows you to have DMZ's. Qos. VPN's. It allows you to bridge 2 seperate networks. A cheap linksys router flashed with some decent firmware is a must for anyone wanting to get a start with networking. I really cant recommend this enough.

Cisco is best one i always prefer. Go for it without second thought

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.