Member Avatar for mehnihma

Him

I have trouble with understanding one thing,
bit reverse notation of MAC address is also know as Standard notation and Canonical notation?
Is that true or not? I am talking about Transmitting the Frame (byte order and bit order), specifically about big an little endian.

In this document http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2469#page-2 it refers to Canonical resepertations of MAC address as HEX not Bit reverse notation. Did I understand this correctly?
And also is this acticle valid socurce?

One more thing as I understand from it that bit reverse notation is used only when going form ethernet to token ring and back? And are all bits reversed when thez are on the wire of ethernet?

Can you help me with this? And if this is not valid source, help me find a valid source and explan this to me.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

There are books that go into this in detail. As a software engineer, I just use the appropriate macro functions that convert network-to-os order and vice-versa. I don't bother with the rest. That said, I used to teach basic internetworking to AT&T techs so I had to lecture on all of that cruft - a couple of days of 5 hour lectures and exercises just to deal with network addressing, bit/byte orders, and all that. You have a couple of days? I only charge $200USD / hour for that sort of training... :-)

P.S. They got college credit for the class.

BTW, is ANYONE still using Token Ring any longer? I still have some Arcnet boards laying around my basement if you want antique gear.

How about a Lantastic node? Apparently, Arcnet is still alive according to Wikipedia:

"One further advantage that ARCNET enjoyed over collision-based Ethernet is that it guarantees equitable access to the bus by everyone on the network. Although it might take a short time to get the token depending on the number of nodes and the size of the messages currently being sent about, you will always receive it within a predictable maximum time; thus it is deterministic. This made ARCNET an ideal real-time networking system, which explains its use in the embedded systems and process control markets. Token Ring has similar qualities, but is much more expensive to implement than ARCNET."

Member Avatar for mehnihma

Interesting, but is there anyone who knows the answer on my question? That could be easy to understand?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.