I have a D-Link D1-524 router. I've had it for under a year and as of about a week/week and a half ago, at random times, it just shuts off. After I give it the five minute reboot, it works. I don't understand what's causing this but it's very tiresome. Does anybody know what to do? Thanks a lot

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I have a D-Link D1-524 router. I've had it for under a year and as of about a week/week and a half ago, at random times, it just shuts off. After I give it the five minute reboot, it works. I don't understand what's causing this but it's very tiresome. Does anybody know what to do? Thanks a lot

It shuts off as in powerwise? Or your internet just get's dropped?

If your internet just drops upgrade your firmware on the router. If that doesn't work I would highly recommand getting a brand new linksys wireless G router for approx $50.

my linksys does this

its because it runs out of IP adresses to allocate by DHCP as everytime a client reboots it gives it the next available one

e.g

client 1 (192.168.1.1) reboots
client 1 now given (192.168.1.2)
client 2 powers on given (192.168.1.3)

etc..

after about 50 (there is a thing called "DHCP adress range" somehwere in your router setup) it will run out ip adresses to allocate

It should only run out if you have as many machines as you do DHCP Addresess.

Typically when a machine gives out an address to a machine it typically keeps that address on the machine. Even if it didn't you should have enough.

If you have 10 machines in your network and you have 50 DHCP addresses you should not run out. Upgrade your firmware seriously.

Sometimes the eaisest solution in these types of cases is just buying new equipnment.

Jimmy

my linksys does this

its because it runs out of IP adresses to allocate by DHCP as everytime a client reboots it gives it the next available one

e.g

client 1 (192.168.1.1) reboots
client 1 now given (192.168.1.2)
client 2 powers on given (192.168.1.3)

etc..

after about 50 (there is a thing called "DHCP adress range" somehwere in your router setup) it will run out ip adresses to allocate

I'm actually having the same problem with my linksys (WrRT54G v7) router. It's acting as a gateway to 6 computers (4 wired & 2 wirlessly). For some unknown reason it just goes offline but the connection icon says connected. I thought it was a DHCP problem atfirst, so I decided to give all the PCs a static address. Frankly that didn;t improve the problem on a long run.
I have updated the firmware, tried caling linksys no answer (delayed me, will try again). But connection directly to the modem is flawless.
When this also happens, I try to ping the Router(gateway) but I get no responce, then I try to ping other addresses like 'google & yahoo ' and I get responces; others I can think of doesn't give responces aswell; exept those two. It's like it just blocks us off the interent, while the internet is still active. I have tried everything, running out of options.
To clarify things, when I run the MSN messenger troubleshoot, it detects that my gateway is offilne.
Now to fix this; I always had to reset the router(gateway), then it comes up.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm actually having the same problem with my linksys (WrRT54G v7) router. It's acting as a gateway to 6 computers (4 wired & 2 wirlessly). For some unknown reason it just goes offline but the connection icon says connected. I thought it was a DHCP problem atfirst, so I decided to give all the PCs a static address. Frankly that didn;t improve the problem on a long run.
I have updated the firmware, tried caling linksys no answer (delayed me, will try again). But connection directly to the modem is flawless.
When this also happens, I try to ping the Router(gateway) but I get no responce, then I try to ping other addresses like 'google & yahoo ' and I get responces; others I can think of doesn't give responces aswell; exept those two. It's like it just blocks us off the interent, while the internet is still active. I have tried everything, running out of options.
To clarify things, when I run the MSN messenger troubleshoot, it detects that my gateway is offilne.
Now to fix this; I always had to reset the router(gateway), then it comes up.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Did you upgrade the firmware?

Yes, I have upgraded the firmware

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.