Hi,

Am sort of in a fix at the moment. Am at the stage of creating my database from my ER diagram of which certain tables rely on the InnoDB storage engine for referential integrity, transactions etc. By shockingly enough my ISP doesnt offer InnoDB table types due to the overhead caused from transaction tables.

What can i do? Change hosts? Revisit my ER diagram and make them all MyISAM? - this means i have to manually maintain integrity across related tables - seems more of a nightmare to me.

I need comments on what to do. Thanks and looking forward to feedbacks.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Easy and quick fix is to change the host. There is a lot of good hosts around which provide hosting services.

Revisit my ER diagram and make them all MyISAM? - this means i have to manually maintain integrity across related tables

I do not recommend doing this. You need more time, resources, good understanding of the application and prepare for the issues after moving to MyISAM. But managing transactions will be tricky after moving to MyISAM.

Thanks for your feedback MWASIF. Makes sense to me.

Do you have any other concerns?

To get best performance from InnoDB the MySQL server should be tuned for that :)

"To get best performance from InnoDB the MySQL server should be tuned for that"

What do you mean by that?

Thanks for those useful links. Will surely have a look at them shortly.

My second option instead of moving to another Host is mirgrating totally to POSTGRESQL. I know it supports all i want. I just want to know if there are sufficient resources out there and if there are enough community support like its counterpart MYSQL? Let me know your take on this intended route.

Thanks once again

I never worked with POSTGRESQL so I can't say anything about it. It also has community support like MySQL but after SUN acquiring MySQL things may go much faster in the favor of MySQL.

Indeed. Will do my research and let you know what i come up with. The hosting package as already been paid for so i doubt if they will give money back. So i think am left with postgresql as my last resort.

Should i have asked my host because i committed to the hosting plan if they offered transactional tables? Can i be blamed for lack of proper enquiry?

The inevitable has to happen my host also doesnt offer transactional tables on POSTGRESQL. I have to change host. They dont offer it at all for all the database offerings. I find that very strange. I have asked for my money back.

This is realy strange. Now you can find a host which supports MySQL InnoDB :)

Yes thanks :)

Did you get your money back?

In the process of being finalised but they are giving me a full refund. It is worthless hosting with them if they can provide me what i need for my application to run optimally.

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated :) Do you know of any hosting companies in the States?

I personally like www.liquidweb.com as I have referral link on my site as well :). We have dedicated servers with them. They are bit expensive but are really good. You can check hosting forums to get a better idea about hosts.

Edit: Congratulations on getting full refund.

Thanks really appreciate all your input will scout that route and let you know what my outcomes are. Thanks once again!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.