Hi
I'm just trying to create an appliation in java that can hold my expenses and save it to review every month or end of the year.The problem with it is how can i hold the data of everyday expense into it.this could be with help of oracle or MS access database but the problem is if i want to create standalone application and distribute to some of my friends then what can i do ? then because database will be on my computer,How can i bundle it with my java application for distributed standalone application?

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Use Derby/JavaDB in the embedded mode and distribute the empty db with the application.

Or use RandomAccessFile and create your own dbm type DB (I've done this myself, just to try it, and as long as you're not going to get too fancy in your search possibilities, or too expansive in the data, it's not hard to implement.)

Just side question masijade, what about stroring data in XML file?

H2 and McKoi are also freely available embedded database options.

Just side question masijade, what about stroring data in XML file?

Also a possibility. ;-)

Is there any place or URL where it is discussed?
IOr maybe some small tutorial ?

Tried google but no success.What search term should i try?

You have to specify what suggestion you interested first...

I'm looking for the any tutorial that has information about my problem.Please let me know if there is any resource you found on google about this.

I'm looking for the any tutorial that has information about my problem.Please let me know if there is any resource you found on google about this.

What additional info do you need?
You've already gotten an answer: use an embedded database, the names of which have been given, or your own simple file format.
If you need more info then that, you'll have to ask a more specific question.

Hi i've installed H2 database engine on my system.And i even created the table as per the tutorial but i don't know anything about SQL.

Can anyone tell me where can i learn some basics of SQL which will be helpful for H2 database design?

I'm confused abt SQl cause there are plenty of SQL database out threre but which SQL relates to H2,i've find very few aarticles on h2.where to find H2 SQL queries and some examples etc.?

I googled it out but it is forwarding to some other resources which is not useful for me right now.

An embedded database having a small memory footprint would be a much better option considering the host of features you get along with it. Stay away from XML and flat files for the sake of your own sanity.

>I'm confused abt SQl cause there are plenty of SQL database out threre but which SQL relates
>to H2
H2, like most relational databases out there, implements a larger part of the SQL standard. So unless you are doing something funny along the lines of stored procedures / functions, you should be just fine with standard SQL tutorials. This and this should be a good starting point.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.