I have an older Dell Latitude CPx that still runs Win XP that I use for wireless access in my house. I don't run a lot of apps on this box, just use it for web & music outside my home office. The "B" DIMM slot will not recognize memory. I've installed known good memory into the slot but nothing is recognized. Initially by reinstalling the DIMM, it would work, but even that stopped. Is there a fix or do I have a door stop?

Most likely the system board and/or the RAM slot, which is probably plastic has warped. Given it's age it's the most likely answer.

Most likely the system board and/or the RAM slot, which is probably plastic has warped. Given it's age it's the most likely answer.

thanks, but no. The slot isn't warped & the motherboard isn't the original.

RAM problems are usually related to wrong RAM, defective RAM. If it's either it's usually a simple matter of replacement. Circuit boards are another matter. Because of the way that they are made it's easier and more cost effective to replace than repair. Also, there are wiring circuits w/in the board itself that you can not see let alone repair outside of the factory. If warranty ever applies chances are good that they are simply going to replace the one that you sent rather than attempt a repair.

so if you put the ram thats in slot A into slot B it will not work correct ,
howabout the model # on the bottom of laptop if one is there that says more than GPx.and how much ram is in slot A ,and how much are you trying to put into slot B,and is it same speed as the one in slot A max is 512 meg total

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.