Hey guys,

I live in a shared house with a small network of 4 different systems: 2 PCs, 1 Laptop and an XBOX 360 (which is sometimes swapped out for another laptop), all connected via ethernet cables to a Linksys BEFSR41 router, which is in turn connected to a cable modem for internet access.

A while back I was moaning to a friend about how our internet connection slows when others in the house are using P2P programs and taking up a large volume of the potential bandwidth. He told me about QOS (Quality of Service?) which would allow me to assign bandwidth equally among all the connected systems as opposed to a first come first served basis - i.e. whoever gets on first gets as much as they need, and everyone else gets whats left.

Can you tell me if this is the case?

I've had a good trawl through google for QOS setup guides with little to no luck, esp for small/simple home networks. Does anyone know where I could find some kinda guide to do this or even how I could do it myself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thannks
James

PS If you need to know what system Im running please ask n I'll list it.
cheers

very tasty, lookin on ebay now.....

Please let us know how it works

Have you checked to see if third party Firmware is supported like Tomato or DD-WRT if so they have QoS Built in

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.