Hi,
I am a college student and I've had this computer since the end of 2003. One of my ram sticks burned out so my firend replaced it for me. However, it still showed that only one ram stick is working and one day it just turned off and whenever i try to turn it on it says that there is not enough memory to turn the computer on.
I am now going to purchase new ram sticks for the computer but I have no idea what to look for. Originally I had 2 256's in there, but I read online that this computer supports up to 2 gb of ram. I was wondering where I can find ones that would fit and a good price.
Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Crucial is some of the better RAM out there, and if you go to their web site they have two means of determining what RAM is going to be compatible with your computer. Their "Advisor" will prompt you to enter your computers information and then will show what they suggest. The second method actually scans you computer and then will show what they suggest. They guarantee that the RAM will be compatible.

Hello,

My name is Mike, I’m a Dell Technical Analyst located at Dell corporate headquarters in Round Rock, TX. I'm part of an internet outreach team developed to interact with the online community regarding technical questions and issues that customers face with Dell products. I've read your post and wanted to respond with a couple of suggestions. First, the method that was previously mentioned with the online Advisor and the real time System Scanner will give you a good indication of what type of memory you can put in the system. Second, with the comment that your friend replaced the memory and it was still only reading one stick of RAM, you may be dealing with a dead memory module. You can test it by putting a known good stick of RAM in only that slot and trying to boot. If it errors out with no memory detected then you're looking at a bad slot which means the motherboard must be replaced. If you have any questions or comments or just need a little more help please email me at customer_advocate@dell.com with my name in the subject line, ATTN: Mike B. and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Thanks,
Mike.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.