The past couple of days I've had a frustrating Windows Media Player error manifest itself on both my work computer and home computer. When trying to burn files to CD-R at work, WMP went through the preparation phase and began burning the files to disc as normal, but abruptly stopped after burning the first two files (and ruining the disc) giving me the error message saying it couldn't continue and that I should try a different brand or make sure the disc was clean. These are Memorex CD-Rs and I've burned dozens of these for work time and time again without issue. I tried several more times, using different disc brands and getting the same result each time. Experimentation showed this happens with both music and data files.

Meanwhile, back at home, my wife was trying to burn some family snapshots onto CD-R. The same process repeated with her to the letter. These dual WMP breakdown happened within a day of each other. I've looked online and found several references to this happening to others, but it doesn't seem to be common and no cause identified (that I've seen). Have there been recent program upgrades, or perhaps a virus turning up (I ran a virus scan, but nothing turned up)? Burning progresses normally via alternative programs, but the way my systems are set up, those are a hassle to use. I don't share software between the systems, and only occasionally transfer files via USB memory--which is automatically scanned with viral detection software (all up to date). I have plenty of hard drive space available and free memory. Both burners work fine with alternate programs, and the WMP functioned perfectly until just a few days ago.

Anyone have an idea?

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

What version are you running of WMP?

What version are you running of WMP?

I don't know--where do I find this? I'm looking under "Properties" and for description it only gives "Windows Media Player" with no version.

I don't know--where do I find this? I'm looking under "Properties" and for description it only gives "Windows Media Player" with no version.

go to HELP/ABOUT in the top bar ,this is usually were all programs show there version

And a really good giveaway is if its black with blue glowing buttons its normally 11 ;)

also i just checked [ i use 11 but only to view video and play music ]you have to right click on the top bar and go to help

And its under about, Caperjack is trying to tell people WMP isnt his personal preference :D

And its under about, Caperjack is trying to tell people WMP isnt his personal preference :D

for music and video it is what i use,but i don't do a lot of playing video and music,so it will do !! ,but i don't use it to burn music or any other data ,,I been using Nero and Alcohol 120% for burning 9 or 10 yrs now .

lol nero rock, lets not start a ''which is the best burning app'' post lol

Okay, yes. I'm running WMP version 11. I've been able to burn CD-Rs using iTunes for the past couple of days, but this morning I got the following message, and iTunes stopped burning the CD-R halfway through:

"The attempt to burn a disc failed. An unknown error occurred [4850]."

This is the same thing that happened with WMP. Does this mean that both my work and home burners went out simultaneously?

you may want to check if the IMAPI service is turned on. and set to automatic.
right click mycomputer icon, go to manage and select services look in the list for IMAPI

IMAPI wasn't on. Unfortunately, turning it on manually didn't change the result--still burning the CD-R halfway before spitting it out with the error message. :-(

Hey There
Now that would be a coincidence.OK.The software (WMP and I-Tunes),is it the same cd you installed it from for home and office use.

Also another alternative Question,are you using the same cd/dvd drive for home and office cause than it might be the drive.

IMAPI wasn't on. Unfortunately, turning it on manually didn't change the result--still burning the CD-R halfway before spitting it out with the error message. :-(

did you try the 32bit driver in the link i posted above .
also do you have any cd brning software on you computer to try besides media player software that can burn cd ,as they aren't reliable as cd burners in my opinion

Normally you get a free burning app like cyberlink or even nero, look in your programs list also there is one called roxio.

Check back
Bondi

Hey There
Now that would be a coincidence.OK.The software (WMP and I-Tunes),is it the same cd you installed it from for home and office use.

Also another alternative Question,are you using the same cd/dvd drive for home and office cause than it might be the drive.

Short answer: No. My home computer is a Dell Dimension and my work machine is a Dell Optiplex. No hardware is exchanged between the two. No software--other than Canon's EOS photo utility--have been installed from the same disc. I exchange files occasionally using USB flash media. On my work computer I have Sonic DigitalMedia Plus v7 which I tried to use yesterday, and the same partial burn happened.

Am checking now for any additional burning apps. Hey! I have Cyberlink. Will give it a shot and report back.

Wow 3! it could be a hardware issue and they are both dell :-/

Let us know how you get on with cyberlink :)

Bummer. Cyberlink is the Power DVD player only, not a burn utility. My in-system burn utility is Sonic DigitalMedia Plus v7 by Phillips. I made sure the IMAP was turned on, and tried a disc copy. No dice. Error cropped up half way through the burn as usual. Literally half-way through--I can see on the CD exactly where it stopped, and the error has occurred at the same point on each disc, no matter what program I'm using.

Apparently, Sonic ships installed on HP computers, and they've issued a patch because of conflicts with WMP. Doesn't sound like the same problem I'm having at all, however. I didn't even know I had this Sonic DigitalMedia program on my machine until the others went belly-up.

They could be 2 causes:

1.Sonic Conflicting... is it on the both computers?
2.Faulty Burner which is a coincidence on both computers, DELL

You could try going into the device manager and reintalling the driver and remove sonic and see how that go's and turn off all plugins implemented on WMP and Itunes.

Hope this helps
Bondi

Caperjack, I did install that new 32-bit driver, to no avail.

I'm considering buying an external burner and see if I have any luck with that. Slow, I know, but it would help eliminate hardware as the trouble source, right?

did you try using the winxp burning utility .if you have the songs in a folder ,right click on the file and chose ,send to, and then chose the burner from the list ,and this will start the process to burn the disk, do this with the amount of songs you want on the disk ,this will put a icon down by the clock ,click that and chose to burn the disk in the left panel .

I had Sonic RecordNow v 6.5.0 on my home PC, which I take it is part of the Roxio family of programs. I was able to make a direct copy of several CDs to CD-R simultaneously (the rip tray and burn tray are separate). Interesting. Will see if I can get a copy going at work tomorrow...

Hope it goes well!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.