I have tried virtually every suggestion in these forums regarding fixing the slow response time with IE 6.0 and nothing seems to work.

Problem Description:
This problem began suddenly two days ago. Whenever I select any intial action requiring IE6.0 (either accessing a site or opening a page resident on my PC that requires IE6.0) it takes about 15 - 30 seconds to load. Once I get into a site, sometimes I can whip through the pages quickly, and for other pages it takes quite a long time.

What I have tried:

• AdAware to clean up files and programs
  • Spybot to clean up files and programs
  • shutting down ZoneAlarm
  • shutting down McAfee
  • restoring defaults in IE Internet Options
  • have already upgraded to SP1 for IE 6.0
  • running "ipconfig/flushdns"
  • shutting the PC down and unplugging it and my cable modem and then re-starting

The only things I know of that I have not tried are:

• re-installing IE 6.0
  • doing a system restore to a few days ago

Could this be a problem with my ISP, Roadrunner Cable? I would not think so since the problem occurs also when I try to access pages resident on my PC.

Does anyone have any other suggestions before I try one of the two options above?

Thanks.

Oddly enough, my problem with IE has disappeared. For the past two days I have experienced the problem I described above every time I launched IE. Now, after taking no additional steps, it has been working fine for about 15 minutes.

Hello, I'm having this same problem. It started today (02/28/04), and it is really irritating. The screen loads, the status bar says "Done" and the status bar progress area is filled in almost full (97-99%) and sits there for about 15-30 seconds. I can't scroll the screen, click on any links, leave, move on to the next page, go back or anything, until the progress bar fills up and clears.

While the screen is waiting I can click on links, hit the back button, scroll, etc., and all those things are buffered until the screen frees up and are then executed.

Bouter, did your problem ever come back, or did you ever find out why it started in the first place? I'm running IE 6.0, on Windows 2000 Server. I have Visual Studio.Net installed and have been creating and running a lot of sample programs from a C# web programming book. I've been keying in the code myself, so I'm pretty sure that I'd know if I entered something in one of the samples that would cause IE to start working crazy, although I wouldn't say I'm knowledgable enough about IE or how it runs to know what would or wouldn't affect it.

If anyone has any suggestions, please answer here or email me at fromtheashes@email.com. Thank you.

Bob

Hi There

I am running Windows XP Proffesional, And I'm having a problem when lauching IE6, It loads, then freezes for about 12-20 seconds on every page I try to open.Does anyone have any ideas how to rectify this problem...I have tried several things....here's hoping someone out there can help Thank You Wooie

I'm having almost the same problem and it started on Friday. All of a sudden I can't even get to IE. I click and click and nothing happens. I get the hourglass for about 2 secs and that's it. It doesn't load. BUT if I go to Outlook, I can load it via the favorites menu.

I've tried everything so I'd love to hear some advice if anyone has any.

Suz

"Hello, I'm having this same problem. It started today (02/28/04), and it is really irritating. The screen loads, the status bar says "Done" and the status bar progress area is filled in almost full (97-99%) and sits there for about 15-30 seconds. I can't scroll the screen, click on any links, leave, move on to the next page, go back or anything, until the progress bar fills up and clears."

i am having EXACTLY the same problem started (2-28-04)...i just configured Netscape to do all my browsing....screw Micro$oft

"The screen loads, the status bar says "Done" and the status bar progress area is filled in almost full (97-99%) and sits there for about 15-30 seconds. I can't scroll the screen, click on any links, leave, move on to the next page, go back or anything, until the progress bar fills up and clears."

HERE IS THE FIX!:
go into IE, Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and
uncheck "EnableThird Party Browswer Extensions"
IE 6 works great now

Thank you dc0007. That did the job for me too. I too had downloaded Mozilla and Netscape, but I hate having something not working on my computer that works on most other's computer. I'm not sure if that option had been checked all along and something got downloaded to kick-start the problem, or whether that option got checked by something that loaded. Prior to the problem showing up, I'm sure I didn't download, or install any new software, so it's a puzzle what got this started. But at least now I know the reason.

Thanks again for responding back when you found it.

And thanks to Daniweb.com for being here.

Bob

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.