Hey everybody, I'm a new member, and I have a really puzzling issue. I am running the latest version of Firefox, Netscape 8, IE7 beta 2, and Norton Internet Security 2006 as my firewall. I can access the Internet with Firefox and Netscape just fine, and can download updates for most of the apps I have on my system. However, for the last week, I cannot access the Internet using IE. Even before I upgraded to IE7, I couldn't hit any web pages, including Microsoft Update, which is not a good thing. Also, those apps which require access to IE (like Sony Connect) don't work.

Basically, anything which requires IE doesn't work and everything else does. I've checked Norton, and that appears to be OK. Is this a new virus or spyware that no one's ever heard of before? :idea:

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Could you have blocked IE from the web? I do not use Norton as my firewall, I use ZoneAlarm and ZA has options to block access to the net on a per-program basis - verify that you have not blocked it's access. Everytime you upgrade a program that passes through the firewall, you have to re-authorize (well, if the firewall is any good this is true).

If this is not the problem, you will have to offer more information - what happens when you try to access the web?

Could you have blocked IE from the web? I do not use Norton as my firewall, I use ZoneAlarm and ZA has options to block access to the net on a per-program basis - verify that you have not blocked it's access. Everytime you upgrade a program that passes through the firewall, you have to re-authorize (well, if the firewall is any good this is true).

If this is not the problem, you will have to offer more information - what happens when you try to access the web?

Jack,

Excellent question, thanks for the reply. When I try to access any app which calls IE or IE itself, everything just stalls. When trying to get to a web page, IE goes to the "Page Not Found" error message. Other apps (including Windows Update) just stall and nothing happens, unless the app itself times out.

I have checked my program access status, similar to what you talked about for ZA (which I used to use). I made sure IE was fully authorized as part of my troubleshooting process.

I think what I'm going to try to do is to deinstall Norton Internet Security and then see what happens. The behavior is very weird just because every other app I run which requires Internet access works just fine. Anything which requires IE, though, dies. I'll keep you posted.

I'm having the exact same problem! I posted about it here.

Do other applications that depend on Explorer work fine for you? Like Outlook Express & Acrobat?

I'm having the exact same problem! I posted about it here.

Do other applications that depend on Explorer work fine for you? Like Outlook Express & Acrobat?

OK, guys, I deinstalled my Norton Personal Firewall 2006 and tried to access IE. Same problem - I can't get to the web at all with IE or anything else that needs IE, like Sony Connect or Windows Update. However, I can download updates to my other apps, and can hit the web using Firefox and Netscape. So, there's a real problem with IE.

Can anyone help, before I have to go to Microsoft?

scoot on over to the viruses trojans and other nasties ,section of this fourm and get hijackthis and post a hijacklog for review .IE is subject to spware/trojans problems that firefox and others are not .

Get hijackthis here and run it,do a scan only and copy paste the log into a new thread over in the virus section ,don't fix anything until told by one of the pros over there .

scoot on over to the viruses trojans and other nasties ,section of this fourm and get hijackthis and post a hijacklog for review .IE is subject to spware/trojans problems that firefox and others are not .

Get hijackthis here and run it,do a scan only and copy paste the log into a new thread over in the virus section ,don't fix anything until told by one of the pros over there .

Caperjack,

Thanks for the tip. I've posted a HijackThis! log over there, and hopefully someone can help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.