Hey everybody! I work part time in a Middle School Library that has a computer lab in it. At the end of the day I have to go around to 50 computers and individually shut them down. I was wondering if there is a way I could shut down a group of computers from a separate computer and save the hassle of doing each one individually? All the computers are networked and run Win XP Pro.

Any ideas?

Jeremy
kleenex88h@yahoo.com

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Go to the command line, and type 'shutdown' on any one of the computers.

The info there should give you enough to write a batch file that shuts down all of the PC's.

Get a remote desktop program, as the middle schools that i work at have already, and you can shut them all down with a single click of the mouse :) It really makes life easy for the computer teachers!

Why not just go through once, and enable some power saving options on them?

That way, they'd just go into hibernate or Stand By mode, rather than you having to run around like a crazy person at the end of the day. They'll save nearly as much power in those states as they would if shut down, and you wouldn't have to shut them down daily, because they would already be configured to set themselves in a lower power state.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.