Ok,

I have a ip camera and i can view it from my network but not from outside the network so i head i will have to so some port fowarding how do i go around this and what ports do i open.
alos once all that is resolved what do i ype in the browser to get it to popup what is it called so i can set it up in the configuration page

oh and the ip camera is a sitecom ln401 or summat and a linksys or d-link router its at my work you see

any ideas

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

Portforwarding is basically a feature telling the reouter to rout all the traffic to a particular port to a different port. By default all the HTTP requests are channeled through port 80, But most of the residential ISP's block port 80 so that those connection cannot used for hosting sites and IP Cameras. So there is always a work around for everything. Like AntiVirus for Virus. You need to first find out on what port your IP Camera is set to. Then open your router configuration page and goto Gaming and Applications and set the port your want to access from outside and the port you want to access from inside.

So for instance if the IP of the Camera is 192.168.1.5 internally then you need to set it using the public ip. If port 80 is blocked you can use port 8080 as the alernate port.

You can try using http://portforward.com This will take care of most of things you need to research.

commented: Great Advice +1

Let me know if you further questions, I would be glad to help.

but once i set theses ports what do i type in the prwoser from the web to access this and howdo i set it if it is not set.
iam only 14 so could you be a bit less techie lol

It depends on the port on which you have the Camera Setup. For eg: of you Camera Port is: 1234 then you will access it from outside as: http://publicIp:1234

but what is the public ip like if im at home i would typ http:// (the public ip) then the alternate port number.

what is the puplic ip:
and you said before about once you set a alternate port you said in the routers config you will have to type a external ip and a internal ip any help im a bit confused

i know how to set the alternate port but what port is it

Can ou show me a detailed view on how to set all this up if you have got time

I have a sitecom ln-400 or ln-401 i am not sure

and rather a d-link or a linksys router probs d-link so could you explain in non techie term please

have a go at it using what i told you on MSN

I have tried it and it isnt working it says

start port
end port
and you have got a choice of FTP,TELNET,WWW.,WELL KNOWN PORT
which one shall i use

so i set it as port 8080 and it didnt work
I tried port 80 no look

but in the camera configuration page it says default 80 but it says use second port shall it be enabled or disabled

use 80
dont bother with second port
and tell your router to forward all TCP 80requests to the cameras internal IP

Ok we have disabled the secondry port but no look what would the internal port be and the public port be would they both be 80 and what would the other thing be

FTP
WWW.
TELNET
Well Known Port

Any ideas

I am at work now so could you tell me know and we could try it

Ok we have disabled the secondry port but no look what would the internal port be and the public port be would they both be 80 and what would the other thing be

FTP
WWW.
TELNET
Well Known Port

Any ideas

I am at work now so could you tell me know and we could try it

See Port 80 is used for HTTP and thats what you are going to use. You can change the port 80 of you Camera to listen to Port 8080 and then you can forward port 80 to 8080 in your router.

so 80 to 8080 i will give that a go tomoz and if no look ill let you know

yes, for outside world it will be CameraIP:8080 -> routed to your Internal IP:80

let me know.

No look,

so can you give me step by step what to do e.g

1.go to router
2.get ip adress from www.blablabla.com

you get me

also it says start port en port not internal and external

any ideas

Give me the exact model and make of your Router.

No look i tried openening two ports but no access

any other ideas

if you cannot open ports then there is no way.

it is supposed to be a camera for the public not buisnesses and it isnt just us who has blocked ports other people who have that problem will not be able to use any network related security products

there is got to be sum way to do it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.