Hi all,

I'm creating a progam in C# that reads a file location at start up and displays the parent folders in a combo box. This file location may change in future. So I intend to keep this in an xml file and allow the user to change it when needed. But how do I go about it? I have not done any coding with xml yet. So, please help.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

string path = Properties.Settings.Default.ParentPath;
DirectoryInfo di =new DirectoryInfo(path);

Gives an error that says, 'Illegal characters in path.'

Thanks

Then its probably true.
Whats in your path?

"C:\Test"

is that the debug value, or the displayed if you print it out value?

Hi all,

I'm creating a progam in C# that reads a file location at start up and displays the parent folders in a combo box. This file location may change in future. So I intend to keep this in an xml file and allow the user to change it when needed. But how do I go about it? I have not done any coding with xml yet. So, please help.

Thanks

using System.Xml;
XmlDocument xd = new XmlDocument();
xd.Load ("myconfig.xml");

is that the debug value, or the displayed if you print it out value?

When I wrote "C:\\Test" in the settings, the path returned in

DirectoryInfo di =new DirectoryInfo(path);

is "\"C:\\\\Test\" and when it's @"C:\Test", it returns "@\"C:\\Test\""

The error is 'Illegal characters in path.'

Thanks

Without seeing the code for that the fact it says "@\"C:\\Test\"" for example, implies its encoding the whole @"C:\Test" as the filename, which is correct. " marks etc arent a valid file name, while c:\test can be.

If you're entering the path in a text box, dont enter the @ or " marks

WOW! It worked. I removed the quotes. Thanks a lot LizR. Why didn't I try removing the quotes earlier?

Dont ask me :)
Please make sure you mark it as closed

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.