Hi all,
A year ago, I began to study the basics of the C++ language and I was able to successfully passed this stage .. Thanks to everyone who helped me in this especially DaniWeb users ..:*

But always hesitate in my mind a question:
what should be done later ..? :-/

In general: My goal of learning programming is only in the video game industry, both 2d and 3d, Not only to become a game developer, I'm Greedy :scared:, I dream to become a game engine programmer beside game developer Within 4 years.
Again:
what should be done later ..? :-/
1) Training more and more C++ or this waste of time.
2) Go directly to DirectX + C++ or this is madness

I want one that pulls me from the cycle of thinking
regards
iammfa

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Well, if your goal is to be a game programmer then my suggestion would be to start making games. I'm sure that every bookstore and most good libraries will have a whole section dedicated to game programming. Pick a good book up and start making games. My university has some courses in game programming (2 to be exact) so I'm sure that other schools offer courses on the subject as well, so depending on your age and education level you can always take a course.

I think what necrolin says is the way to go. Don't underestimate the fact that while you are writing games you are still learning C++, you won't stop learning when you start applying it ( as a matter of fact I think you'll never stop learning C++ ).

But of course there is a certain entry-level, it is probably a bad idea to _start_ with coding a game ( unless it is a simple console-based game ). But you say you know some C++ so I'd say go for it.

I don't want to put you off your goal - but becoming a game developer in 4 years is definitely not easy. I suppose you want to be working as a game developer - but there will be very few companies who will hire you unless you actually have a degree to show that you are capable. And besides that, being a game engine developer is definitely not all about programming, there is a massive amount of math involved so you need to be very comfortable with that kind of math if you want to be working on serious projects.

necrolin, thelamb thanks ..
But I still do not know what is the next step:
start with c++ and directx
or
start with c++ and easy library like SDL or GDK
I heard i must practice c++ and directx to gave me ability to program a game engine in the future.
p.s i studied math and physiques with c++ basics

if your still unsteady revise over what you know then come back and think about what to move onto. I mean when im unsteady I give some stuff a quick re - read and get back into my head. Hope this helps

necrolin, thelamb thanks ..
But I still do not know what is the next step:
start with c++ and directx
or
start with c++ and easy library like SDL or GDK
I heard i must practice c++ and directx to gave me ability to program a game engine in the future.
p.s i studied math and physiques with c++ basics

I don't think that it really matters where you start as long as you start you'll be moving in the right direction. What difference does it make if you're writing games in one technology or another? The only difference that I see are your chances for employability. If you're concerned about getting a job in 4 years then look online at the classifieds and see what skills come up the most. Plus, any game programming that you do will give you skills that will be transferable to the next technology that you learn. As a game programmer you will always be learning the next new thing and in 10 years you may be working with tools that don't even exist now. My advice is choose a tool DirectX/SDL/whatever and make your fist game. That'll be a huge accomplishment in itself.

And like "thelamb" mentioned, you'll need to be skilled with numbers because you'll be seeing a lot of them.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.