If you are really completely new to programming, or if you have done a little bit of programming some time ago, you might be interested in using the Visual Studio Express Edition products. However, even though Microsoft says these products are aimed at novices and hobbyists, their definition of "novice" refers to someone who actually has some programming knowledge, perhaps in a different language for example.

If you really are an absolute newbie and you want to get up to speed, I have yet to find a better way than a series of videos by a gentleman named Bob Tabor. This series really gives you an excellent grasp of the basics and takes you all the way through creating a fully functioning application.

One thing. If you are an experienced programmer, you will likely find this series TOO basic, but even the author says that if you are experienced, you could probably find a better way to spend your time. However, I have yet to find a better source of information anywhere for those who are serious about LEARNING to program using Visual Studio, but don't have hundreds of dollars to drop on a course, and believe me I have combed many forums and developer sites and even cornered programmers I know. Too often it's hard to get specific answers to address your confusion as a beginner, and this series is a tremendous help.

Not that I am anyone of importance, but I highly recommend this series. Here's the link:

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/beginner/

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Any books you can recommand ?

>you might be interested in using the Visual Studio Express Edition products.
I only have one question: How much is Microsoft paying you to promote their stuff on random forums?

Microsoft doesn't pay me anything. I have to pay the same for their products as anyone else.
The purpose of this forum is to HELP others who have similar interests, and to get help if it is needed (at least that's what I thought). Since I have asked so many questions and have often gotten NO response, I decided that, if I am going to be a member of this forum, then I am going to try to help others benefit from my experience and what little knowledge I have (at this time).
What I posted was not so much promotion; it was simply advice for those who are as new as I am to the world of programming and who might not know that it's not entirely necessary to pay between $300 and $500 for a programming tool and perhaps much more for some sort of course, just to get started.
Second, I do not consider Daniweb to be a "random forum", I chose this forum specifically because I believed it would offer me the chance to enhance my learning of C#, since I cannot afford formalized instruction. It is also one of only two related forums to which I belong, neither being random.

You see, this isn't about me or Microsoft; it's about the fact that there is a powerful tool that's FREE, and some pretty good instruction on how to get started with it, also FREE. That's it; my motives do not in any way whatsoever extend beyond that.
Perhaps, instead of questioning my motives and falsely accusing me of something you may consider underhanded, you should focus on the value of the information itself. If you have better information, then you should provide it because, frankly I would benefit and thank you for it. If you don't have better information, then you have contradicted your signature.

Any books you can recommand ?

Visual C# 2005 Step By Step (John Sharp) has been really helpful to me so far.

I seem to have struck a nerve. Could it be that I caught you advertising and you're trying to put a charitable spin on it? :lol:

I seem to have struck a nerve. Could it be that I caught you advertising and you're trying to put a charitable spin on it? :lol:

No, you haven't really struck a nerve, I'm just explaining that your assumption that I was trying to promote Microsoft's products was wrong. I do like the product, and that's the only thing driving my comments. The fact that Microsoft produces the product or that they might benefit from my positive review of it, has nothing to do with it. If the product had been produced by any other company, I'd still feel the same.
I think advertising is a violation of the terms of agreement for my membership here (I haven't really read it all that thoroughly, but I think it is). If it is, I like this resource too much to risk losing it by advertising! If what I posted does constitute advertising, then I apologize, and if I could I would remove the post entirely.
What I am promoting (and I am doing it freely), is Visual C# 2005 Express, not Microsoft specifically. And it really is charity (not just a spin), because I honestly like doing things for people with no expectation of any kind of reward, and doing something like this costs me nothing but the few minutes it takes to type some words. I think that's a good thing. Truth is, it'd be nice if Microsoft DID pay me something, even if it's just some free software, but unfortunately, that's just not the case.
Can you understand that?

>Can you understand that?
Probably more clearly than you do. I also understand how your recommendations could do more harm than good (and no, I'm not a Microsoft hater). Do you?

commented: I was looking to give you a green dot, but when you failed to follow-up your admonition with an explanation I had to give you a red one instead. Maybe next time! And no, I'm not CSCGal. -2

I use Visual C# 2005 Express. I too am glad it's free. I too would recommend it as a resource for C# developers. I fail to see the controversy here.

I use Visual C# 2005 Express. I too am glad it's free. I too would recommend it as a resource for C# developers. I fail to see the controversy here.

I don't see the controversy either. Personally, I think this person is trying to prove a point that doesn't exist.

>Can you understand that?
Probably more clearly than you do. I also understand how your recommendations could do more harm than good (and no, I'm not a Microsoft hater). Do you?

No, in all honesty, I don't see how this recommendation can do more harm than good, unless you have some hypothetical situation in mind, which I'd like to hear.
Your responses to this point indicate that you don't understand my position better than I do; in fact, an objective observer thinks you don't understand my position at all. Since I have stated that I am not promoting Microsoft's products on random forums, and stated that the fact that a product I am recommending, I am recommending because I think it's a good product, and not because it's Microsoft, I fail to see anything other than the notion that you just don't believe me, which is OK, but as for any other point, I'm at a loss to see what is the nature of your disagreement. So, if you don't believe I am not promoting, as you say, and if you dont' agree that the product mentioned is a good product and that the recommendation has merit, then you should have stated that from the beginning. Your original comment was to ask if I make a habit of promoting Microsoft products on random forums, and I have already answered that question. You have mushroomed this into something weird.

But seriously, I really would like to know why you think my recommendation in this case, which isn't much different than many others I have seen on this forum, could do more harm than good.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.