Not sure if this has been mentioned before.

One thing that irritated me for a while was seeing '1 hour ago' '2 hours ago' and such on posts. I like seeing the actual Date/Times, but maybe that's just me :)

I have had a look in the CP today and found the settings to change this, my query is on the naming of the options..
It appears that the 'Normal' setting will show a standard date/time of the post; such as 'Oct 27th, 2009, 06:00', 'Yesterday/Today' will do what it says, and 'Detailed' will show the '1 hour ago' '2 hours ago' and such.

Personally, I would expect the results of the Normal and Detailed to be reversed, to me, detailed means more information, which would be the actual timestamp, not just 1 hour ago :)

Just my thoughts :icon_smile:

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I believe your expectation used to be the default behavior. The new default was an "upgrade" a while back. The compromise you see is the result of some complainin'. (If I remember things correctly.)

Yes :) I prefer to have the times be relative (X minutes ago, X hours ago, X days ago) because everyone on DaniWeb is from a different time zone (and only a small handful of members change their time zones in their profiles, nevermind all the guests). Therefore, this is the only way to ensure that the times are meaningful to everyone.

Yes :) I prefer to have the times be relative (X minutes ago, X hours ago, X days ago) because everyone on DaniWeb is from a different time zone (and only a small handful of members change their time zones in their profiles, nevermind all the guests). Therefore, this is the only way to ensure that the times are meaningful to everyone.

Ah yes, I get that :)

I was mainly wondering why the full time was called 'Normal' and the x hours ago called 'Detailed'

That's simply the terminology that the vBulletin forum system uses.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.