yeah the americans pronounce vase like case by we say it like cars

yeah the americans pronounce vase like case by we say it like cars

Why? There's no R in it? :)

And you say shed-jual and al-you-min-ee-um,
we say sked-jul ('U' like YOU) , ah-loo-mi-num.

Interesting, wot? :mrgreen:

yes, vase = varze for us but vaize for you

i love the english language

Even among Americans there is a variance in the "accepted" pronunciation of common words which can tend to irritate. Case in point: "ROOF"...
Is it pronounced to rhyme with the word "goof"; or, as some would have it, to rhyme with the word "hoof"? For a child just learning the language in written form in school, this can be a bit confusing as spoken by a teacher--- and there appears to be no real consensus...

As for the divide between neighbors separated by "the pond", it is interesting to note the differences in terms applied to things common to both countries. An American will know what is spoken of when an automobile component is referred to by the word "hood"; but, will be confused by the word "bonnet". And what of that wonderful variation in terms describing what is a resident means of gaining information in most households? Is it the "Telly" or the "T.V."? (Or, am I confusing that with the telephone?)

Then, there's the place where all must go once in a while, without exception... Is this "the Loo", "the watercloset", "the toilet", or some other place?

And let's not forget what can become of what are taken for granted as well-known products, domestically. In the U.S., everyone is familiar with General Motors and "Chevrolet"; but, when an Aussie speaks of a "Holden", Americans will not understand--- although this is the version of that same vehicle with which Australians are familiar...

It is a wonderful thing to explore such differences; but, doing so sheds new light upon the ease with which misunderstandings can take place between people--- even between those speaking "The Same" language. It appears that American English is not, exactly, The King's English; and, that which may be accepted as American English in the northern U.S. can be totally misunderstood in the southern states(or vice-versa)... "Mud Bugs", anyone? ...

commented: I can't read your writing; please don't use purple -1

hood = bonnet
trunk = boot

if you refered to it as the trunk here people wouldnt understand you.

and we dont use the word closet here btw(its jsut cupboard or wardrobe

I kind of wonder at the response you'd get here, these days, if someone you spoke to heard you refer to the overall condition of any subject as "Just Ducky"... That's one of the more colorful and attractive things about what's conveyed by those in The U.K. through their speech.

And the Canadians get a strange mix of both American and British words/pronounciations... :sad:

yeha, ive got canadian cousins and they speak more like english people than americans

Even among Americans there is a variance in the "accepted" pronunciation of common words which can tend to irritate. Case in point: "ROOF"...
Is it pronounced to rhyme with the word "goof"; or, as some would have it, to rhyme with the word "hoof"? [/quote]

you know goof and hoof rhyme, oof is the same sound...

Is it pronounced to rhyme with the word "goof"; or, as some would have it, to rhyme with the word "hoof"? [/quote]

you know goof and hoof rhyme, oof is the same sound...

lIs that a "long" oo or a "short" oo? I didn't ever hear of horses having a "hoof" that rhymed with "goof'; but, I don't hear half as well as I once did... The only way I've ever heard "hoof" pronounced was with the oo sound that is the same as in the word "soot"--- which does not in any way resemble the word suit. So... Is it foot, or foote? :cheesy:

American President John Kennedy was probably the most famous American for his strange dialect (Ted Kennedy is like that too). Example: they pronounce "car" as "ca" (drop the r sound)

Have you noticed that American TV national news people have mid-western accent? That's because its considered the easiest accent to understand. Only local TV newspeople have local accent.

If you notice, many people from the New England states, like the Kennedys, pronounce words like that. You know the sound:"Haavaad" instead of Harvard; "Daahlaah" instead of dollar; and so forth... Can you imagine them trying to understand Ebonics?

lIs that a "long" oo or a "short" oo? I didn't ever hear of horses having a "hoof" that rhymed with "goof'; but, I don't hear half as well as I once did... The only way I've ever heard "hoof" pronounced was with the oo sound that is the same as in the word "soot"--- which does not in any way resemble the word suit. So... Is it foot, or foote? :cheesy:

oooooo as in hooooooof and goooooooof. Soot is more sut except no so 'u'. ....... i know what i'm talking about! :mrgreen:

And let's not forget Aunt -- a from cat or bar?

And the last letter of the alphabet -- zee or zed?

Then there was the Datsun -- Dat rhymes with bat or cot?

Hey jbarry315, enough with the purple italics it's giving me a headache already!

yar if i cant have gren you can't have purple :P

That issue has been successfully addressed, guys--- sorry for the inconvenience to your eyes. Quit that stuff after a rather diplomatic PM from someone else who also found it discomfiting. If you find another post from me that is in this format, using BB code, check the date on it. I promise to behave--- again... jb

>Quit that stuff after a rather diplomatic PM from someone else who also found it discomfiting.
Didn't I just say something like "stop the stupid purple italics" or was it something more refined than that... :D

>Quit that stuff after a rather diplomatic PM from someone else who also found it discomfiting.
Didn't I just say something like "stop the stupid purple italics" or was it something more refined than that... :D

It was all good... Thas' my story, an' I'm stickin' to it! Take some credit if You must; I have been duly appreciated and recognized--- and You did Your part. Now, my posts don't hurt peoples' eyes when I launch them into the ether; and, You helped make that happen... Just be forewarned: If I can find a way to again stumble into the realm of the borderline nefarious, I am prone to do so... I count on all You guys to come get me.... :cheesy:

How do you pronounce nuclear? I know how I want to see how you guys do.

new - clee - ur :)

No, that's wrong unless you're George W. Bush. This is for anyone who reads this, nuclear is pronounced exactly how it looks. It would sound like this, new-clear.

Eh... I think I was right. Look in Webster's dictionary.

yeah everyone here calls it nuke-lee-ur

I myself go with the nuke-lee-ur, but I think we're wrong.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nuclear

/ˈnukliər, ˈnyu- or, by metathesis, -kyələr/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[noo-klee-er, nyoo- or, by metathesis, -kyuh-ler

Yeah.. that's basically the same.

new-clee-ur, noo-klee-er

new-ku-lar for some people.

new-ku-lar for some people.

new-ku-lar only sounds right if i do it with an american accent......

new-ku-lar only sounds right if i do it with an american accent......

I don't know anyone who says it like that.

new-cle-a

and now i've said it so many times it doesn't sound real... nuclear.... nuclear.....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.