This is really urgent ..... I would be very thankful for anyone who could suggest me and help me out!
Hi all, Can I club two exe files while developing a software...
Details are as follows:
1. I want to develop a software in which I want to add features step by step by overriding the functions
2. Now the problem is that I want to give only the .exe files to the customers
3. And My new feature , which I may add to the existing one, should also be an exe(I dont know if I should call it like that or not), which should be something like a set of library functions, which are already existing in the initial release, but with a new functionality.

I want these new set to be usable by the user of my software by just allowing him to load the new libraries into his memory.

Is it possible?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi there,

this is a very interesting idea that you have, and I'm sure someone will be able to help you here, but in the future, please consider this. Claiming your situation to be more "urgent" than someone else's on a forum is rude. These other members made their post before you, so simple chronology makes them have more precedence. To say your issue is urgent might be counterproductive; some of our best forum members might ignore your post, thinking you're rude.

So, in the future, for your own sake, please don't indicate urgency in your threads.

Hi there,

this is a very interesting idea that you have, and I'm sure someone will be able to help you here, but in the future, please consider this. Claiming your situation to be more "urgent" than someone else's on a forum is rude. These other members made their post before you, so simple chronology makes them have more precedence. To say your issue is urgent might be counterproductive; some of our best forum members might ignore your post, thinking you're rude.

So, in the future, for your own sake, please don't indicate urgency in your threads.

Thanks for your valuable info. As I am new to this forum, in fact any forum I didnot think it over ... Any how help me out as quickly as you can!

>Is it possible?
Yes, by patching the libraries and executables you gave to the client, but this is not a topical question, so please direct your query elsewhere unless you have a specific problem concerning C or C++.

One way to do this on Windows (and I'm sure on other OS') is to use DLL's. You would release an EXE and one or more DLL's that together comprise your program. The functionality you expect may be overridden/improved would be in the DLL's, and then by releasing new DLL's you would have new functionality.

Another approach is to use 'class factories' that are located in a DLL. Maybe initially all they do is return the base functionality you already have, but in the future you can release a new DLL with new [sub]classes and the factories can return these subclasses with their new functionality.

Generally, though, unless you know pretty well what kinds of things you are going to improve, this is a losing game. Eventually you'll find yourself needing to improve something in the EXE, and then you have to release a new EXE.

So, the question is, if you are distributing new binaries to a customer, why not give him/her the whole set of binaries, EXE included?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.