I have spent endless hours searching the web for a few days now and still the only tutorial I have found (doesn't even show everything I need) is at http://www.functionx.com/vcnet/controls/combobox.htm
But what I need is code or tutorials on how to make graphical interfaces such as textboxes, scrollbars, tickboxes etc and for basic processing of these features. Does anybody know of any links because I just can't find any reliable documentation. Even www.cplusplus.com doesn't have this information. Does anybody know of any useful tutorials or documentation specifically for graphical interfaces.
please help.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

First of all, i'm going to assume that you are using Visual C++, since after all thats the link you posted. Please make it clear if you are using Manged or Unmanged Win32 for your application, even better make it clear what operating system you are using too. Since linux will be different to windows. However it is obvious that you are indeed on a Windows OS of some kind.

Originally I was going to post a link to Unmanged Win32 because I thought that was what you were on about, then I checked your link and Noticed I was wrong.

But i'm still left confused since the link you posted does demonstrate this and the main page has a whole host of examples http://www.functionx.com/vcnet/index.htm

Chris

I don't know how it works with windows, but in linux you have to use some kind of "UI Framework" like QT or GTK.

Have you tried theForger? Also note that MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network) has full windows documentation and a generic sample application as well as a categorized list of API (Application Programmer Interface) functions. There is also MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes), an object-oriented wrapper for the API, but you should probably learn something about the API first. This is all assuming you want to go native Windows (no 3rd party GUI framework, no managed code).

Don't with Visual C++ MFC.
Use some third-party platform independent libraries like GTK+ or wxWidgets.
In that way, your code will be more portable.

First of all, i'm going to assume that you are using Visual C++, since after all thats the link you posted. Please make it clear if you are using Manged or Unmanged Win32 for your application, even better make it clear what operating system you are using too. Since linux will be different to windows. However it is obvious that you are indeed on a Windows OS of some kind.

Ok, I didn't realise that I had to be so specific since I have never done any successful c++ programs other than a simple dos system command. My operating System is Microsoft Window XP Pro and I am using Microsoft Visual C++. But I don't have a clue as to what Manged or Unmanged Win32 means??? And in case you need more info on my specs, I have 3250GB ram, 512mb Graphics, duel core. And I would also like my programs to work on xp home edition. It seems to be mainly the graphical interface that I am having trouble finding info on because it's like if its too basic to be documented. Some of the links nucleon sent look good but please send some simple or step by step guides if possible. But am impress by the catagorized link nucleon sent.

Unmanaged Win32 Code, is directly interfacing with the win32 API. Managed Win32 is using the MFC. Which is what MVC++ users tend to do. Thus you do not need the catorgarized link that he sent you, but you need the MFC, since this will probably easier for you. The MFC (Microsoft Fundamental Class) is a wrapper for the Win32 API making it easier and faster (in some cases) to write GUI Interfaces,
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d06h2x6e.aspx
http://www.functionx.com/vcnet/index.htm

They should get you started.

Chris

Unmanaged Win32 Code, is directly interfacing with the win32 API. Managed Win32 is using the MFC. Which is what MVC++ users tend to do. Thus you do not need the catorgarized link that he sent you, but you need the MFC, since this will probably easier for you. The MFC (Microsoft Fundamental Class) is a wrapper for the Win32 API making it easier and faster (in some cases) to write GUI Interfaces

That's not true by any means. MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes) is just a wrapper around the Win32 API.
One definition of Managed code

In my opinion, in order for the MFC to be proficiently used, the basic knowledge of the underlying Win32 API concepts is pretty much required.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.