consider this:

float a=3.145698,b;

que: now how can I assign b=3.14 using 'a' instead of 3.145698.

pls help me... thank you very much....

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

float a=3.145698;
float b=a;

define b as a; if you only want 3.14, just set the float precision to 2.

float a=3.145698;
float b=a;

define b as a; if you only want 3.14, just set the float precision to 2.

thnk u friend for taking interest in this prob.. but would you pls tell me the exact syntax to set the float precision to 2....

thnk u friend for taking interest in this prob.. but would you pls tell me the exact syntax to set the float precision to 2....

cout << fixed << setprecision(2) << b ;

This will keep it to 2 decimal places.

Now i have a problem !! when you do that it will round off the values to about 3.15,i had a similar problem earlier to which i have not yet found a solution.

How do you make sure it does not round off the value,in my case the value was 0.003974 , how do i get only 0.003 ?

Er I should have been more clear, there is something besides setprecision() that allows you to "cut off" anything after a certain digit. Google it; you have to learn something on your own :P. I don't like giving away freebies; it takes away the fun in learning.

I know how to print upto 2 decimal points.. but i want to know how can I assign the value to float variable b=3.14 using a=3.1469532...
pls send the solution with syntax... thnx

If you want to store 3.14 (and no more), then you need a different data type than a float.

You're always going to end up with either 3.139999999 or 3.140000001, depending on which is the nearest representable form to the value 3.14

Its simple as this

float a = 3.1234567;
float b = int (a * 1000 ) / 1000.0f  // now b = 3.123
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.