hi guys,
i need to pass product version information from windows installer to custom installer, i am almost sure that you dont know the answer but that is fine, it is also important for me to show you what you dont know.
i will try to solve this thread later in time.

kvprajapati commented: I like the way you ask. +17

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

hi guys,
i need to pass product version information from windows installer to custom installer, i am almost sure that you dont know the answer but that is fine, it is also important for me to show you what you dont know.
i will try to solve this thread later in time.

I am almost sure you are correct, but it is important for me to ask: what product is the custom installer is installing?

:cool:

if you add a setup project to your windows application, you will have some properties shown when you hit f4 when you select your setup project in solution explorer, there you will see the version information for your product, i want to pass that information to custom installer.

if you add a setup project to your windows application, you will have some properties shown when you hit f4 when you select your setup project in solution explorer, there you will see the version information for your product, i want to pass that information to custom installer.

Not to waste your time, but what I don't understand for sure is how you intend to call the custom installer. After reading all this, it sounds like you are writing a setup in which you want to pass the product version you have defined in this setup while it is running, via a call from same said setup, to "another" "custom installer" or setup that will be launched from your other setup. Is that what you want to do?

I have an appt and will be gone for a few hours, but will check back then...

there is a customactiondata property of your custominstaller component when you add a custom action to your setup project. there you can pass some data from setup to custom installer class using the context.parameters collection. what i want is to pass version information dynamically. as i said i dont have any hope that any one can help me, but thanks for your concern anyway. See where are our reputant, beloved and respected posters sknake, ddanbe, ramy, adatapost? When it is about custom installers, you are left alone like in mobile development :(

It's a ProductVersion property.

I started looking into this. I ran into this info and figured it was worthy of posting my progress. I just saved the relevant screenshot as a bmp because it had a property screen visual.

i hard coded the product version into custom installer class, so it is a work around for now.

i hard coded the product version into custom installer class, so it is a work around for now.

I've been researching this for some time now, and I cannot figure out some things, so I'm going to create a new thread and post the project and maybe you can help me with my noob questions.

Serkan, please look at the code I posted today regarding Context.Parameters : http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread224137.html

I see no reason why you cannot use a parameter to pass in the product version from the setup.

ok DdoubleD, i investigated your demo application and unfortunately it didnt solve my problem. I know you can pass parameter values from setup project to custom installer project, my question was this : how do you pass the version information that is embedded in to setup project. for example you pass the target directory like this : /yourCustomParameter="[TARGETDIR]\" , like wise i want to be able to pass that embedded version information.

Thanks.

I think you should probably post this to YOUR thread instead of mine, so I am quoting it here.

Where exactly is your embedded product version being stored/set inside the setup prior to the custom install step?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.