Does anyone know how I can find the version of Microsoft Windows Installer(MSI)? I've found references to a "getdllversion," but it's not a standalone program. It's all code for different languages and I'm not a programmer and not sure what I would need to even run the code I'm finding. I've been having problems with some other program installing correctly and the support told me to install the latest MSI(4.5) and gave me a link. But I'd like to find out what version I have installed before I try updating. I have a feeling that I will already have the latest version and that that is not my problem. And if I go ahead and install from the link before finding out what version is already installed then I have to wait until a new client update comes out to try to recreate the problem, which could be months before that happens. Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

the programs you are having problems install ,try right clicking on them and chose run/install as administrator

this is for winxp ,but i think you are using ,vista or win7 even ,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803

I've tried that before, but it doesn't solve my issue. And I'm using win7 ult 64bit.

I've been having problems with some other program installing correctly??

care to share what the program is ,or is it with all other programs ,you win7 likely already has the latest installer msi 5.0,installed ;
is it a program made for Vista or Win7 ,if not did you try installing it in compatibility mode

Thanks for the suggestions all these had really helped me.

It's with the "Steam" client for games. Every time it updates the client it only installs so much. I have a long list of things that tech support has given me to do and this is just the latest "fix."

So I'm trying to find a way to find version info for MSI before I try the "fix."

well as i posted in mylast post win7 comes with 5.0 installed /intergrated into it ,where to look to make sure you have that version ,i still cant find , cant find it on my own win7 eve ,but if you tried to install a lesser version it should tell you that you already have a newer Version installed.

edit ,
it is a service so you can go to control panel /admin tools ,services, windows installer and make sure it set to automatic,turn it on ,exit services ,see what happens then when you try the stream updates.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd408114(VS.85).aspx

well as i posted in mylast post win7 comes with 5.0 installed /intergrated into it ,where to look to make sure you have that version ,i still cant find , cant find it on my own win7 eve ,but if you tried to install a lesser version it should tell you that you already have a newer Version installed.

edit ,
it is a service so you can go to control panel /admin tools ,services, windows installer and make sure it set to automatic,turn it on ,exit services ,see what happens then when you try the stream updates.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd408114(VS.85).aspx

Thanks for the help. It seems that steam has finally changed the way they institute their updates. They now install the update while you have steam running instead of forcing an install when you start up and it sees that the version doesn't match. At least that's what seems to be happening now and I haven't had any issues with it since. I'll be sure and post again if anything changes, but for now thanks for trying to help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.