Hi all, i'm new to Templates and when i tried to implement templates methods which needs to use a map (which is a member in private), the map can only do 3 things: insert, swap, and operator =. and i don't get the full functionality of map..

Here's the code:

#ifndef __GARAGE_H_
#define __GARAGE_H_
#include <map>
using namespace std;
template <class T,class SortKey, class SearchKey>
class GarageDataBase
{
public :

GarageDataBase();
	virtual ~GarageDataBase();	
    const T& Top() const;
	bool Add(T data,SortKey key2, SearchKey key2);
	T Remove(SearchKey toRemove);
	T Find(SearchKey toFind) const;
	bool isEmpty()const;

private:
	multimap<SortKey,T> firstMap;
	multimap<SearchKey,pair<SortKey,T>*> secondMap;

};
#endif

template <class T,class SortKey, class SearchKey> GarageDataBase<T,SortKey,SearchKey>::GarageDataBase()
{

}

template <class T,class SortKey, class SearchKey> GarageDataBase<T,SortKey,SearchKey>::~GarageDataBase()
{
}

template <class T,class SortKey, class SearchKey> const T& GarageDataBase<T,SortKey,SearchKey>::Top() const
{
	firstMap.
}

in the last func when trying to get into firstMap mathods, all i get is: insert, swap or, =...

how do i get to "first" or s"econd" in the map?

Thank you and sorry i'm just a beginner here

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Try using iterators.

template <class T,class SortKey, class SearchKey> const T& GarageDataBase<T,SortKey,SearchKey>::Top() const
{
	mulimap<SortKey,T>::iterator it;
	it=firstMap.
}

still doesn't let me to firstMap.begin()

i want to return the first element in the map

What do you mean "doesn't let me"? What happens if you change line 5 above to say

it=firstMap.begin();

?

it doesn't complete me with Intellisense code completion..

Maybe its the completion system problem?

I would not expect code completion to work flawlessly in the presence of templates, because in general it's not possible to know for certain what types are involved. What happens if you enter by hand the statement I suggested and compile it?

it seems to complie however i still doesn't understand why can't i accsses STL map methods?

You can -- you just did.

The trouble is that in general, when the type of an object includes a template parameter, it is not always possible to determine what all of its members are.

Ok, Thanks for the help!

I'll try using the methods created and update if it actually works

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.