Hello all!!

First of I just want to say that this is a great site. I am just looking for some advice I have just started studying for my degree in software development. I have been reading a lot of books on software development and they all say the wau to improve is to read,read and read all the programming books you can and then develop, develop and develop and then program,program and program. So I took a look at a freelance website and looked at the type of things that are on offer there was one for software that makes the process of taking reservation for hotel and restraunts easier.

I have decided to try and develop this software by myself to gain experience of course not for payment just in my free time to develop my skills.

What I 1as wondering is this a gd way to get experience with the intention of obtaining a job in software development when I leave uni?

Also I fairly skilled in programming with c and C++ as well as java and java script what language would you recommend I use?

Thanks everyone

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

What I 1as wondering is this a gd way to get experience with the intention of obtaining a job in software development when I leave uni?

Work on a project with public exposure so that you can use it in your portfolio. Open source projects are a fantastic option because you get experience, your name is open for view, and employers will see you as someone who's passionate about developing software.

I see thats sound advice and will take you up on that what gets me is I dont see what I can do to these open source project I have been using sourceforge.com can you recommend some other sites?

I am currently studying for my degree and wont to get all the experience I can is open source a gd way to do this and can I put this on my CV?

I dont see what I can do to these open source project

Many of the projects will have a to do list and/or help wanted ads. You can find out what to do there.

is open source a gd way to do this and can I put this on my CV?

Yes and yes. When reviewing CVs, I prefer to see open source project experience far more comprehensive formal education. That's a better indicator of someone who's both qualified and likely to do well if hired.

thanks alot that has helped alot and cleared alot in my head.

I see what you mean by the open source experience before formail education. Have you used sourceforge.net?

it seems to be the one that everyone recommends to use

Contribute to Ubuntu.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.