i am a bit confused.i am feeling that one should be expert at data structures rather than language.i am learning c++ this semester,learning oop and data structures.is data structures more important than language?what can get u into a good company?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Which is more important, the car or the gas?

What good is your data structure without knowing how to manipulate them via a program? And there's so many programs that don't require data structures.

Learn the concept first! When I say learn it, I mean know it inside and out. Its easy to pick up a language once you get the concept down. Stick with one language for now, and use it for your needs. Program data structures using that language and become a master at it

i am a bit confused.i am feeling that one should be expert at data structures rather than language.i am learning c++ this semester,learning oop and data structures.is data structures more important than language?what can get u into a good company?

We call C++(C PLUS PLUS ) because it has been taking his way from old C, and has brought many many concept , OOP (Object Oriented Programming) , STD, ADS , template and finally Meta Programming. C++ without these features would be just C. With C you write a program, but with C++ you manipulate the program itself.

So to summarize, learn first C++ as well as you can, and if you are a master of C++, there is no language on the earth that you can not learn in just a week.

Learn C++, it will teach you the rest of Programming languages....

Sorry, I disagree with most of what therockon7throw said...

We call C++(C PLUS PLUS ) because it has been taking his way from old C, and has brought many many concept , OOP (Object Oriented Programming) , STD, ADS , template and finally Meta Programming. C++ without these features would be just C.

This I agree with.

With C you write a program, but with C++ you manipulate the program itself.

This I don't. You aren't manipulating the program, you're manipulating the data via the programming.

So to summarize, learn first C++ as well as you can, and if you are a master of C++, there is no language on the earth that you can not learn in just a week.

And this is just blatantly wrong. There are many, many languages that knowledge of C++ won't help one iota in learning.
Lisp
Snobol
Bliss
RPG
Assembly
Cobol
Prolog

just to name a few.

And the argument "I've never heard of them" doesn't apply. They exist and are in use.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.