Hi,

I am looking to hire someone to spend some evenings or days helping me understand Visual C++ 2005 better. I am a Structural Steel Detailer by trade but have developed some application related to my field. I have written some in C and C++ but I would like to have better coding direction with Studio 2005. I am in the Nashville area. If you are interested please e-mail me.

Todd
todd@compdetailing.net

SpS commented: Buy A Good Book +1

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Hi,

I am looking to hire someone to spend some evenings or days helping me understand Visual C++ 2005 better. I am a Structural Steel Detailer by trade but have developed some application related to my field. I have written some in C and C++ but I would like to have better coding direction with Studio 2005. I am in the Nashville area. If you are interested please e-mail me.

Todd
todd@compdetailing.net

How about you just grab yourself a good book.
Attempt the exercises systematically.

...If you encounter problems...well just ask them here!

This way you don't have to hire a private tutor who might be teaching wrong or flawed programming techniques.

:cheesy:

Agreed.

Two quarters (6 months) "Learning" C/C++ in college didn't help me even a tenth as much as hanging out around here and reading reccomended materials/doing exercises/making test code for three months.

You don't need to spend money on a tutor if you can use the internet to search for tutorials and helpful forums such as this one.

Granted, I still have a great deal to learn. However, I'd rather get a free tongue-lashing from people here for my stupidity than pay for help from someone who might not have admirable coding habits.

Andy,

Great Web page, I actually looked at before you even responded.

I have read several books, although I have not found much on VC++ 8 yet. I have written most of my code through the years in Basic and MASM. I have written some, but not as much in C++. There are many concepts I understand but struggle with the big picture at times. If people are willing to help me on this site, I would be happy to accept. I thought it would be fairer and easier to pay someone for some direct help. I am not really a beginner looking for some to teach me from scratch.

I will create another post and see what happens.

Thanks,
Todd

Hey, do you live in Nashville?

I'm speaking from ignorance here, but:
Unless VC++ 8 is incredibly different, most of the things you'll need to know can be found in older books.

Even if you're developing graphical user interfaces, you'll need to write the back end to make everything work, and C++ hasn't changed that dramatically.

Check the top of this forum for reccomended books, and avoid Schlidt (an author).

>I am not really a beginner looking for some to teach me from scratch.
Then why is this forum inadequate? If you don't need to learn from scratch then you really are better off teaching yourself and asking for help when you get stumped. It saves you the money and frustration of hiring somebody who will try to fill hours (and thus, charge you more) with things you already know.

I admit, face to face is helpful sometimes, especially with the concepts that require an excess of hand waving. But it costs you nothing to give us a try. :)

>> helping me understand Visual C++ 2005 better

I have problems with that compiler too and I've been programming for over 25 years! My opinion -- it is not a very good compiler for beginners to learn programming because it takes a lot of time just to learn how the compiler works. Dev-C++ is better for beginners to intermediate programmers because the IDE is pretty simple to use.

Narue,

OK. This looks like a good to get answers, although I have noticed a person can get slapped around for asking someone to do thier homework. (ouch!) I would still enjoy getting to ask questions person to person, and if someone is in Nashville...

Thanks,
Todd

Hey, Dave Sinkula

My wife grew up in Coon Rapids MN and still has family there. If we come up for vacation, can I get some help while she hangs out at the Mega Mall?

Um... Don't take this the wrong way, I completely understand the desire to have 'face time', but asking if you can come talk to them so soon after starting to post on a board strikes me as slightly creepy.

Maybe I'm just a social recluse (true)....

And is Dave still around? I haven't searched for his most recent posts, but it seems like he's taking a break.

I'm creepy because I would rather talk that type? Wow! That is one of the things I struggle with in this setting. You have insinuated to every person that views this post that I have some strange motive for being here.

The internet has encapsulated into a derived class that only gets instantiated when someone uses the proper protocols. Everything is declared private and can only be accessed through the proper methods; otherwise we will throw an exception.

Guess I hit your exception handler.

Thanks

Member Avatar for iamthwee

>Andy,

>Great Web page, I actually looked at before you even responded.

That's not me or MY website. I just like it cos it's kewl :lol:

Sir, I apologize.

I, too, like to discuss things in person. Preferably with a big white board to draw on. However, bridging the gap between online and real life communication makes me uneasy, particularly when it is approached aggressively.

As I said, I'm a social recluse, and as such, I applied a sweeping generalization that I should not have. Doubtless I would make the same mistake over the phone or even if we were in the same room.

I suppose this episode has highlighted shortcomings of text-only communication. The lack of inflection and body language turned my (in retrospect, uncalled for) response to your posts into this derailing exchange.
It was not my intent to cast doubt upon your motives, but I can see your point about the effect, especially when the statement was made in a public setting.
And that is why it calls for a public apology.

I appreciate the analogy; It seems quite correct, and very fitting.

In future, I'll refrain from non-code based opinion. That, at least, should keep me out of trouble.

Drozee,

I apologize also. My post was not intended to be aggressive, but funny. I think this is a great board with great people and I will continue to look here for help. My biggest challenge in life is trying to interact in a C++ world, while having a Quick Basic mentality.

Thanks Drozee,
Todd

>Andy,

>Great Web page, I actually looked at before you even responded.

That's not me or MY website. I just like it cos it's kewl :lol:

You're kidding right? That's an epilleptic's worst nightmare!

You're kidding right? That's an epilleptic's worst nightmare!

I figured it is really good for someone who is only 3.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.