I'm trying to install a social networking CGI script on my Apache/Linux server running PHP. I'm installing the files under mysite.com/cgi-bin/members/admin.cgi //setup.cgi //login.cgi, etc. My server does not want to start executing these files when going to the URL for system setup. So I'm in a bit of a conundrum because I'm wondering if Apache servers running PHP are notorious for the cgi-bin directory blues? I would bet the farm that the files would initiate if I placed them in the main directory of my site. The developer states that it doesn't matter if it goes in the main directory or cgi-bin but I prefer the cgi-bin because at present I have a .htaccess file in the main and I'm concerned that it may pose an issue with it's site forwarding script. I have also changed the file permissions of these scripts so they would execute on call. (chmod 755). This cgi script also has a self contained data base that does not require use of the Mysql.(chmod 766). I don't think this is the problem but I'm just putting it out there. So, if anybody out there knows a way I can utilize this script within cgi-bin, your advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Heston. :?:

If it is just the permissions that you are worried about, you could probably just make the individual php files have your desired chmod such as 644 while cgi scripts in the same directory have a different chmod number. This should work or at least on the server I'm on as when changing the chmod configurations of my cgi-bin seems to not effect the whats in the directory. From my experience, it is the chmod of individual files that makes the difference.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.